PDA

View Full Version : Buddy 48 or PRSstandard 4'x8' opinions

ajf
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm finally ready to purchase a Shop Bot to replace my existing small (24" x34") CNC router. Initially I had thought the Buddy 48 with a 8' powerstick would be my choice but after following the forum for some time now it looks like the PRS standard 4' x 8' might be the better choice. Though most of the work I do could be done on Buddy 48 there has been times were I do need to work on a 8' long project. I've tried breaking up a long project into sections using my existing router but have never been pleased with the final results. I've been told that to use the 8' powerstick on a Buddy you should really have the Alpha model if you plan on cutting sheet goods as the motors on the standard are not strong enough. That being the case the Buddy 48 alpha with powerstick and necessary accessories ends up costing more than the PRS standard 4' x 8". The one drawback is the loss of shop space if I go with this model. If the Buddy could do the work of the larger model with the same amount of accuracy when having to work on 4' x 8' project I would still consider it, but from what I seem to read in the forum this just is not the case.
So before I take the final plunge I'm looking for some comments from others. When doing a large project is the PRSstandard going to give me less issues than trying to do that same project on the Buddy 48.

mikeacg
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Al,

The so-called loss of shop space is a myth. A Standard 4' x 8' machine takes up about 4' x 8' (plus a little for the frame and such). A 48" Buddy with an 8' PowerStick actually requires 4' x 18' as you need space on both sides of the machine for the stick motion. (An 8' PowerStick is 10' long and the Buddy is about 39" wide. At 0,0 there is 7'-6" sticking out the back of the machine. At 96,0 the stick extends 7'-3" to the front.) The physical footprint might be smaller but it takes more space to run a Buddy.

Mike

ajf
03-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I had realized that the Buddy would actually take up more space in the shop when using the 8' powerstick. I was more concerned with the permanent loss of space in the shop if I go with the PRS standard 4'x8' (quite a few of our shop machines are on movable bases, so we can reconfigure space when needed).
The majority of CNC work I do can be adequately handled on the Buddy 48's standard work surface. But I do get requests to make cedar signs that are 2'x8'x1.5" in size and what I'm concerned with is if I go with a Buddy alpha and 8' powerstick and start doing signs this size or up to 4' wide can the Buddy offer me the same finished results as if I did this sign on the PRS standard 4'x8' table. In the forum there has been some reference to loss of accuracy when using the powerstick and large size work pieces. So I'm trying to understand what this issue is before I order a machine.
If I knew that in the future most of my work would be large format signs I would probably go with a full size table machine but I actually enjoy doing the smaller projects more. But the larger ones do come in handy for paying the bills every so often.

gerryv
03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Al, That's a well researched and presented question that I think many wonder about at some point. I hope others with experience will chip in as well.

rb99
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Get the big one.

RIB

mikeacg
03-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Al,

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone for the big one. The PowerStick works great but the accuracy is not what I had hoped for. Once I get into a new shop I will be looking at adding a 4x8 to my arsenal.

Mike

erik_f
03-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I have a Gen I BT48...I took a shot at the 8' powerstick. I realize they have cured some of the problems with the first powerstick...but I will tell you that there is no way I would want to be setting that up on a regular basis. It seems simple enough...but trying to move the 8' powerstick around is nerve racking. The rack and the rails are exposed and the stick is heavy. If you can afford (in money and space) the 4x8 machine it is the better choice. My BT is in my 1 car garage. Although I would love a 4x8 machine...it is just not possible in my current work space. I do think I would consider at some point the 4' powerstick...but for the cost...I usually just work around my 2'x4' area. The BT series are great machines...but if you plan on trying to make money with your SB the 4x8 is the best way out. When I bought my BT I was actually considering a BT32 since they were on into for $3999. I decided to spend the extra cash and bump up to the BT48 since the powerstick was promised to be a reality. I thought the same way you did. I can have the best of both worlds. Truth is the powerstick is a compromise on a compromise...a less then ideal linear system on a smaller machine that you would rather have. Like RIB said...get the big one.

ghostcreek
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I am another BT48 owner. Great machine, I am not complaining. But after 2 years, I wish I had gone for the 4x8 machine. It seems 75% of the signs I do are bigger then my table. I have gotten quite creative making these signs, but I dream of a 4x8. I plan on rebuilding my machine to 4x8, but the down time would be a killer for a small shop like mine, with the rebuilding and testing and bug swatting. Bottom line, I have to make money (no bail-out here!) The room required to run a 8' powerstick would be a deal killer also. There is also the compromise on quality. I wish I knew about this forum when I was making my purchase. But the Buddy 48 is still a great machine. You never know what jobs will come your way.
Get the 4x8.

jporter
03-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Just to chime in with the rest of the folks, go with the 4X8 machine. I have a BT 32 and I love the little machine. I also have a 8ft PowerStick. I am happy with both, but I am a hobbiest making furniture projects out of magazines for family and friends. Like Erik said, the $3995 intro price a couple of years ago makes the Buddy a good choice for people like me, but if you have professional jobs, I would definitely get the full size machine. joe

ajf
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies it does look like I should stick with my initial decision to go with the 4x8 table size instead of the Buddy. I'll just have to spend some time now figuring out how best to fit that machine into our shop with the least amount of space loss. Might have to get very creative to make that work.

erik_f
03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Depending on how your machine is set up...there is a lot of room for storage under the machine...and there is no reason you can't use the machine as a work bench when it is not in use (hopefully you never have to use it as a work bench
) Although it may be tempting to stuff it into a corner...make sure you leave a comfortable amount of room around the entire machine...it may not seem like it...but you will thank yourself later. You will have to totally rethink your shop layout. If you plan on really using the CNC it will be the center piece of your shop. Others may disagree, but make the working area around the machine most comfortable for loading, unloading and for working on the machine.

bigboxkurt
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I have the 48" standard model, and so far so good. But like others have pointed out there are some serious drawbacks (ie space limitations when using the powerstick, to some degree the accuracy, and to some degree the motors on the standard model). On the other hand the big ones (alphas anyway) have to be hardwired, they need pretty serious hold down solutions, and they don't come preassembled. I picked up my bot from the factory in my trailer. Once I got it home I was cutting in no time. retrofitting the electrical was easy since the unit is essentially a big plug in router.

Having said that I would also point out that the Buddy is actually somewhat portable. I fit my trailer with a winch so the Buddy can actually be rolled in and out in a matter of minutes. Not that everyone needs this, but it's a good thing if your considering ever having to move the unit to a new shop, or possibly to a jobsite. And before any of you ask, yes I have actually taken it mobile before.

Having said all that...go with the big one now if your planning on doing 4x8 stuff all the time, and you have the electrical/space for it. It just makes sense.

jerry_stanek
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
One thing I did was get rubber flooring for under the machine al the way around it to about 4 feet out sure saves the feet and any bits that drop.