PDA

View Full Version : Shop Storage Solutions

stickman
05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
I've started this thread for the purpose of sharing storage ideas for small shops. I have about used up all of my wall space. I've got a 24' x 24' garage and let me tell you, with a couple projects going in there, I have little room for material storage. Don't even think about domestic storage. The lawn more has a nice space at the end of the shopbot table, covered with a shower curtain. Anyhow, I am wanting to see what others are doing to conquer space problems.

rookie432
05-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm having to build a new shop. 30x50 and I'm sure that will fill up fast enough. Working out of 24 x 32 now and don't share a lick of space with the car or the mower. Car in driveway, mower in shed.
Before making the decision to build new building I considered buying another 12 x 14 gable barn for material storage. That would have worked if I didn't need a new level floor and a true year round heated and cooled workspace.

Bill

gbatten
05-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Yea, there is never enough room for storage. One technique that helps me is to use overhead space. My shop has (had) a dropped ceiling. Now, I have mostly removed all the tiles and store things on the metal framework. Over my workbench I have built a "pot rack" like device that holds clamps, drill, circular saw, lights, etc. I also have electrical outlets in the ceiling over the workbench. This keeps the cords off the floor and out of the way. So, the advise that I am giving is to "look up" and use overhead space as much as possible.

ckurak
05-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm looking at a new shop design also. One feature that I included when I built my current 20x22 shop is SCISSOR TRUSSES. The outside walls are 8' high. The center ceiling height is about 10.5' along the roof ridge line.

While talking with a truss supplier for my next shop, I learned that the shape of the building did not have much effect on the cost of the roof trusses, if any. It was based much more on square footage and the roof pitch. That means, the cost of the trusses for a 30x60 shop would be about the same as a 25x72 shop. Both shops would be 1800 sq.ft. However, the first would have a perimeter of 180' while the second would have a perimeter of 244'. That's a lot more wall studs, drywall, and exterior siding (about 35% more). And, using scissor trusses, the center ceiling height would be higher for the "squarer" building.

I also learned that the extra cost for the scissor trusses versus regular trusses was very small. Also, the greater the roof pitch, the higher the "cathedral ceiling" center would be.

Of course, this doesn't help with an existing shop (the original question), but it might spark some ideas for others who are thinking about a new building. :-)

jhicks000@ameritech.net
05-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I know this is a common problem and one we have as well. Lately I've been considering construction of a series /combination of cabinets and drawers on wheels that could be placed UNDER our PRT120 so they could at least store some of the less active hand tools, paint, and other miscellaneous items and still have tool drawers up front for more active items like bits, screws fixtures etc. Since we have the bot only 18" away from the back wall and 24" from the far end, plus a vacuum system in the far corner in a 22' x35' shop there isn't much more we can do to conserve space. The rolling cabinets may be 2 rows deep 24" or so and fit between table angle braces along with the compressor and our final vacuum pump.
Not sure if anyone has done an under bot cabinet program yet but it seems like a space that is underutilized.
If I do generate a program file, I'll make it available unless someone has already done it.

daveiannone
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Charles,
I get 194' perimeter on the second building (14'difference) check your math.

Dave

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 12:53 AM
A circular workshop of 1800 square feet would have a perimeter of only 150 feet.
Useful for those of us who keep running around in circles trying to make a buck

..........Mike

t_fiddler
05-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Not really a storage solution, but I have my ShopBot in my basement. The plan is to put a 4.5 foot x 5 inch "Mail Slot" in the side of the house (on the non load bearing side of the house)with a 45 degree rack that will hold the sheet stock, as I load it from the outside.
I drew a design of a small spring loaded wheel driving a DC motor (with 3 fog lamps as a load cell) to stop the sheet stock from crashing to the bottom of the rack.
Also you can get "Barn door Track" and hardware from Tractor Supply and make an overhead gantry to move the sheet stock around.

Working on the details
Tom

ron brown
05-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Mike,

Go hide in the corner.

Ron

mikejohn
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Ron,
I was wondering where I would sweep the dust!
......Mike

gerald_d
05-17-2005, 09:30 AM
(The dusty corner video was viewed by 84 different IP's who downloaded it 226 times - there is an awful lot of interest in dust at this Forum.)

ckurak
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
David,

Yup! You're correct. That means about 8% more wall in my example (not 35%).

Thanks!

Charles

gene_marshall
05-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Most of the guys on this forum would laugh at my "low tech" approach, but here goes anyway.

when I needed extra storage for a load of trim I was staining and urethaning.
I fastened snow fence to the rafters, then used rope and pulleys to roll it up to the ceiling when i was done.
It was very strong, 3 of us hung from it to test the strength.
Worked well, held about 100 peices on a 12 foot length.

but like i said, low tech.
i have since had new insulation installed and had to remove it.

I suppose I could make a sketch if there is any interest.

the pully part was fashioned after old fashion roll up blinds.

my 2 cents, after inflation
Gene

bleeth
05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Taunton has a trio of workshop books on sale now:
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070655.asp
If I ever have the option of actually building from the ground up then I would preprogram my layout for dust chutes and power under the floor and suspend a wood floor over a sub-floor crawl space. I hate working on a slab.