PDA

View Full Version : Black Box Price

rseeley13
01-26-2016, 07:45 PM
I have been looking on here and reading about building a black box. What I was wondering (and if I missed it on here I am sorry) is what the total cost came to with 4 motors, pvc pipe, and everything. I know you can make them very elaborate but I will just be doing simple ball valves or blast gate style system. I'm looking at a total cost to provide my business partner to convince him we should invest in one.

Greencarvings
01-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Just purchase one. Way easier, and plug and play.

http://blackboxvac.com/index.html

rseeley13
01-26-2016, 10:10 PM
I agree but we have the panel sheets from old jobs laying around and I'm guessing we could build it for under $1000.00 with everything. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Greencarvings
01-26-2016, 11:14 PM
Motors alone are $500, then labor, and then screw up a couple times, then wiring, it will be close.

jerry_stanek
01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
there are many versions posted do a search and you can see what others have done. Yes I think if you would build it yourself you could keep within your $1000 price range. The nice thing about building your own is you can customize it to your needs like having 4 switches and using different motors. I see that the black box is $1995 plus you still need all the plumbing pipe.

Herb Holmes
01-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Here's a link to a recent thread here , its got a link in it for parts and prices , very informative

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?22174-simple-box-new-modular-%28easy-to-build%29-vacuum-box-design

jTr
01-27-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm looking at a total cost to provide my business partner to convince him we should invest in one.

If you are running a business and have not yet set up vacuum, you will be kicking each other for not doing this way sooner. The rest of the time, you'll be hugging each other.
Advice already given is perfectly sound. First project on my Shopbot was the "black box" based on Gary's design from his original post several years ago. Running 4 years with it now- almost never use the secondaries, as set 1 performs so well. It cannot be overstated what a difference vacuum makes - you just need to decide if you have more time or money available to get it done.

jeff

coryatjohn
01-27-2016, 03:32 PM
For the trouble and effort required to DIY, they have some reasonable systems at reasonable prices. Plus they've already taken the effort to find reliable vacuum pumps and have support. If I didn't already have my own setup, I would probably buy one of theirs. I hadn't seen their site before. I might even get one unit to augment what I have now.

jerry_stanek
01-27-2016, 05:35 PM
For the trouble and effort required to DIY, they have some reasonable systems at reasonable prices. Plus they've already taken the effort to find reliable vacuum pumps and have support. If I didn't already have my own setup, I would probably buy one of theirs. I hadn't seen their site before. I might even get one unit to augment what I have now.

They use the same pumps as what everyone else is using plus if you build your own you can add extra switches so you could run 1,2,3 or all 4 motors depending on what you are cutting

rb99
01-27-2016, 07:44 PM
If you can build a box and wire it for $1000 your labor then build your own. Otherwise spend $1700 and buy one pre-made with the same vacuums.

joe
01-27-2016, 07:55 PM
It seems to me there isn't a perfect answer to this question. If you have the time and enjoy fabricating this kind of equipment this might be the project for you. And if when your finished you feel accomplishment this could be a consideration. On the other hand if your time is limited due to production a flat out purchase would also work.

For me, over the years it's not been very important.

coryatjohn
01-27-2016, 08:18 PM
For me, there is little value in remaking something that I can buy off the shelf. I bought a Kent dust shoe because it was already there and was ready to go. I certainly could have designed and built my own. I did design and build my own vacuum system and it works just fine but now there's an alternative to doing that with Blackbox. If they had their setup years ago, I probably would have just bought it. I would rather spend my time fabricating things that don't exist. That's why I bought my SB. Not to make a 5% cheaper version of something on the market but to make something NOT on the market at all.

Everyone has their reasons. Mine just don't happen to have anything to do with financial concerns. I guess I'm lucky to be independent and have planned an early and generous retirement.