PDA

View Full Version : Dust Shoe Height issues

lgutman
02-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Hi my name is Larry and I am new to the forum.

I just got this BT32 with a spindle. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the height of the dust shoe. The whole dust shoe does not go any higher because it is hitting the bracket. Is the spindle set to high? How do I lower it. Is there any other options?

Thanks

Larry

loriny
02-19-2016, 04:14 PM
Looks like spindles too high. Can the plate be lowered to a different set of holes on the Z carriage. I've got a Chinese spindle with a custom built mount plate so I don't know if your plate is similar.

coryatjohn
02-19-2016, 05:05 PM
I didn't like the included dust foot and bought a Kent one instead. It's by far a lot easier to work with. If you still have some money left after buying your SB, this is a worthy add-on.

https://www.kentcnc.net/nc

jerry_stanek
02-19-2016, 06:04 PM
I built my own and have it so you can adjust the height to the material it does not go up and down as I drilled and tapped holes in the side of the spindle mount. It works better that way as it is always the same when the spindle raises

lgutman
02-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Can the kent shoe still go out the back on the buddy?

Please post any pictures of your dust shoe setups.

Anyone know how to adjust the spindle plate lower?

Thanks

Larry

Ajcoholic
02-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Can the kent shoe still go out the back on the buddy?

Please post any pictures of your dust shoe setups.

Anyone know how to adjust the spindle plate lower?

Thanks

Larry

Larry,
The Kent shoe cannot be used with the dust collector hose out the "rear" as it would interfere with the spindle and gantry.

I have been using my Buddy for 4 years this month. I tried modifying the included dust shoe, but was not 100% satisfied with the set up.

I purchased the Kent shoe about a few months after I got my machine, along with two lengths of brush and three spacers - and have been extremely happy ever since. The dust pickup out the front is fine, as the shoe dismounts quickly (on magnets) to change bits.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/IMG_0745_zpsdmo2dz3t.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/IMG_0745_zpsdmo2dz3t.jpg.html)

coryatjohn
02-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Here's the Kent dustfoot running without brushes:

srwtlc
02-19-2016, 11:07 PM
The mounting plate should be flush with the bottom of the spindle.

Instead of that miserable little thumb screw at the bottom, here's what I did with mine. Replaced the short bar with a long one and put a knob at the top. Also made the foot come off with a small knob and have the mounting plate pinned for locating it properly for those times when I want it completely out of the way. I prefer it coming out the back, so I also modified it with some squashed PVC pipe for a better connection and fit (did that long before doing the height adjust, so that thumb screw is now gone).

lgutman
02-20-2016, 11:34 AM
thanks for all the pictures. I am sure I will go with a kent shoe at sometime. Spent more then the wife would have liked already.

I spun the mounting plate over and everything aligns the way it should now. I used the instructions here to know where everything is at.

http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/SpindleInstallation.pdf

Thanks for all your help. now unto hooking up the dust collector.

Larry

tri4sale
02-20-2016, 07:33 PM
thanks for all the pictures. I am sure I will go with a kent shoe at sometime. Spent more then the wife would have liked already.

I spun the mounting plate over and everything aligns the way it should now. I used the instructions here to know where everything is at.

http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/SpindleInstallation.pdf

Thanks for all your help. now unto hooking up the dust collector.

Larry

Be sure to read all the many posts about grounding a dust collector, I can't run my ShopBot without the dust collector grounded.

genek
02-20-2016, 10:06 PM
The mounting plate should be flush with the bottom of the spindle.

Instead of that miserable little thumb screw at the bottom, here's what I did with mine. Replaced the short bar with a long one and put a knob at the top. Also made the foot come off with a small knob and have the mounting plate pinned for locating it properly for those times when I want it completely out of the way. I prefer it coming out the back, so I also modified it with some squashed PVC pipe for a better connection and fit (did that long before doing the height adjust, so that thumb screw is now gone).

Where did you get the white connector????

srwtlc
02-20-2016, 11:14 PM
It's a piece of PVC that was heated and pressed into an oval so it would fit into the back of the foot. The inside lip was gound or tapered some to make flow a bit better and the gap around the outside was filled with expanding foam and trimmed off.

genek
02-20-2016, 11:26 PM
It's a piece of PVC that was heated and pressed into an oval so it would fit into the back of the foot. The inside lip was gound or tapered some to make flow a bit better and the gap around the outside was filled with expanding foam and trimmed off.
What size of pvc did you use and schd

srwtlc
02-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Whatever size that the SB supplied dust hose fit around. I think it was 3.5" od. No Idea what schedule it was, just standard off the shelf PVC pipe. As long as it fit, it didn't matter.