PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Prices

genek
04-13-2016, 02:36 PM
I bought 100 bf of walnut the week before we went to Indiana to do the show. I paid $2.00 bf at the mill. This Morning I picked Up a load of walnut (100 bf) and the price has gone to $3.75 bf.. I buy at the Mill where it is cut and Kiln dried. Those of you who buy from a supplier if you use a lot of walnut I would go ahead and buy some up now. Your prices are going up.. by the way this was #1 common not FAS...

Xray
04-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Don't know if they all are but the home depots around me are now stocking walnut and lots of it, that could be the reason or part of it.

You'd go in sticker shock looking at their prices, was like $9.50 a ft [not board ft], 5" wide .75 thick, least thats what I could gather from eyeballing it.

genek
04-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Don't know if they all are but the home depots around me are now stocking walnut and lots of it, that could be the reason or part of it.

You'd go in sticker shock looking at their prices, was like $9.50 a ft [not board ft], 5" wide .75 thick, least thats what I could gather from eyeballing it.

This May be a good thing for all of us.. This way customers will see this high price and realize that what we are charging is not out of this world....

Ajcoholic
04-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Walnut has gone through the roof in the past 18 months.

I use it often enough, and usually buy 4/4 and 8/4 rough, in smaller lifts of anywhere from 300 to 500 board feet.

Two years ago I was paying about $4.50 for 8/4 and around four dollars for 4/4.

I have a large island top to make from 8/4 - this week got a current price on 8/4 of $8.35 (thats wholesale from a dealer, not retail) and 4/4 is pushing eight bucks. Pretty much double what it was in 2014, and about 20% more than last year at this time.

I made a set of 8 chairs and a dining room table, back in 2013 at this time. I figured the cost of the set would be at least $2200 more now, solely based on the price difference in material... The set was priced at $6800, now I'd have to charge at least $9000.

Wood here has gone up across all species, but non more than American black walnut. WHich stinks, since it is also my favourite wood as well...

genek
04-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Walnut has gone through the roof in the past 18 months.

I use it often enough, and usually buy 4/4 and 8/4 rough, in smaller lifts of anywhere from 300 to 500 board feet.

Two years ago I was paying about $4.50 for 8/4 and around four dollars for 4/4.

I have a large island top to make from 8/4 - this week got a current price on 8/4 of $8.35 (thats wholesale from a dealer, not retail) and 4/4 is pushing eight bucks. Pretty much double what it was in 2014, and about 20% more than last year at this time.

I made a set of 8 chairs and a dining room table, back in 2013 at this time. I figured the cost of the set would be at least $2200 more now, solely based on the price difference in material... The set was priced at $6800, now I'd have to charge at least $9000.

Wood here has gone up across all species, but non more than American black walnut. WHich stinks, since it is also my favourite wood as well...
Andrew it would Just about pay you to drive to Ky and get a truck load of Kiln dried.. That is if you are on the eastern side of Canada..

Ajcoholic
04-14-2016, 09:39 PM
$3.75 US is currently $4.80 Canadian...

I dont think I could drive to Kentucky to save $2.50 a board foot... :) Im in North Eastern ONtario. 1200 KMs or 750 miles.. one way!

genek
04-14-2016, 09:58 PM
$3.75 US is currently $4.80 Canadian...

I dont think I could drive to Kentucky to save $2.50 a board foot... :) Im in North Eastern ONtario. 1200 KMs or 750 miles.. one way!

That is why I said just about ... Was hoping you were near Michigan.

genek
04-14-2016, 09:59 PM
if you had been near Mich.. would have meet you have way with a load.. ..

jTr
04-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Received email yesterday from woodshop news or similar- didn't read since I get far too many to keep up with, but title indicated saw log prices have taken a substantial dive in value recently. Since I did not read, not sure which species, but evidently not Walnut. Always great mystery surrounding what really drives pricing for these types of commodities.

My rule of thumb over the last 3-5 years is to steer clear of premium grade, as I've had as many as 3-5 unusable slabs in a 100 Bd ft batch. Unusable as in as little as 15% heart wood. Seriously- 85% was the milky white/gray sapwood. When questioned, my supplier simply stated: "well it doesn't have any knots". That's nuts!

Since then, I buy #1 common or sometimes referred to as rustic, as it does have knots. Good news is it is as much as 40% cheaper, yet has the richest color and interesting figure. Fortunately, most of my clients will accept a few knots that go along with. Typically they simply want to be sure they "won't fall out".

Finally, I've noticed premium, clear straight grained walnut veneers can be had for little more than backer pricing, even in what I consider super-wide widths of 14" +.
I'll have to watch and see if that holds true, as well as minding walnut veneered sheet goods.

The good news: I have a stock pile of 6/4 live edge slabs from a locally cut walnut tree- dual live edges and all flitch cut, which I guess just went up in value- perhaps now's the time to stop hoarding and sell a few...?

jeff

genek
04-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Received email yesterday from woodshop news or similar- didn't read since I get far too many to keep up with, but title indicated saw log prices have taken a substantial dive in value recently. Since I did not read, not sure which species, but evidently not Walnut. Always great mystery surrounding what really drives pricing for these types of commodities.

My rule of thumb over the last 3-5 years is to steer clear of premium grade, as I've had as many as 3-5 unusable slabs in a 100 Bd ft batch. Unusable as in as little as 15% heart wood. Seriously- 85% was the milky white/gray sapwood. When questioned, my supplier simply stated: "well it doesn't have any knots". That's nuts!

Since then, I buy #1 common or sometimes referred to as rustic, as it does have knots. Good news is it is as much as 40% cheaper, yet has the richest color and interesting figure. Fortunately, most of my clients will accept a few knots that go along with. Typically they simply want to be sure they "won't fall out".

Finally, I've noticed premium, clear straight grained walnut veneers can be had for little more than backer pricing, even in what I consider super-wide widths of 14" +.
I'll have to watch and see if that holds true, as well as minding walnut veneered sheet goods.

The good news: I have a stock pile of 6/4 live edge slabs from a locally cut walnut tree- dual live edges and all flitch cut, which I guess just went up in value- perhaps now's the time to stop hoarding and sell a few...?

jeff
Wood is graded by the number of knots, and cracks at the end of a board. FAS (first and Second) will always have lots of Sapwood or new growth. Sapwood and new growth does not effect the grade. #1 and #2 have the best colors.. The furniture company's buy way more #1 than FAS.. The price I quoted was #1.. I can use #2, most knots can be worked around or even used in the product. Even #1 will have some Sap wood from time to time.. Sap wood is very easy to stain. What drives the price is supply and demand higher the demand the higher the price.. with Home Depot buying walnut, and China taking everything they can get their hands on. I expect our prices to go up even more.

waynelocke
04-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Walnut is graded differently than all of the other woods. Fas can have (and usually does) have a lot of sapwood. The length of clear cuttings in fas is also shorter than in other woods which is why fas often has knots in the middle of a board. Lower grades allow less sapwood. The spiel is that it is because walnut is the premier domestic wood aud it helps the availability but in fact the best logs go to the veneer mills because it is more profitable. Look at walnut veneer and it tends to have better color and longer clear runs that any solid you will likely encounter.

genek
04-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Walnut is graded differently than all of the other woods. Fas can have (and usually does) have a lot of sapwood. The length of clear cuttings in fas is also shorter than in other woods which is why fas often has knots in the middle of a board. Lower grades allow less sapwood. The spiel is that it is because walnut is the premier domestic wood aud it helps the availability but in fact the best logs go to the veneer mills because it is more profitable. Look at walnut veneer and it tends to have better color and longer clear runs that any solid you will likely encounter.

You are correct. Here in Ky at the veneer company they pay upwards of $3,000.00 per log

James M
04-15-2016, 03:01 PM
In Alberta I'm seeing walnut going for 7.70 a board foot for shorts! Yikes!

genek
04-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Right now in Ky the shorts are $2.75 bf... at that price would hate to see what the fas and #1 common will go for.

Ajcoholic
04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

I buy short lifts (about 500 board feet) of 4' to 5' select walnut. I can still get a "deal" on that, in the $4.50 range. not quite but almost 1/2 what the longer lengths (8' 10 or 12') are.

For most furniture, doors etc I end up cutting it all up anyhow.

I buy shorts in other woods regularly too (hard maple, ash, cherry etc).

Wood prices vary a lot across Canada as well. All depends where you are, who are the main suppliers and so forth.