View Full Version : 5/8 end mill

frank134
04-15-2016, 10:51 PM
i need to cut some mortise that are 3" deep. The only end mill I can
find are 5/8" x 4.50". Do you think it will be all right. I got a 4hp
spindle and also order 5/8" collet .

pkirby
04-15-2016, 11:24 PM
I've used a 1/2" x 3" carbide endmill for making 3" depth cuts into hard maple. You'll find that it's best to take really small pass depths with light chiploads to keep the endmill from chattering. I don't remember the settings I used but start with light cuts and work your way up based on the sound of the cut.

knight_toolworks
04-15-2016, 11:49 PM
I have cut that deep with a 1/2" 1/4" pass depth 3ips with a cleanup pass. just make sure the cleanup pass depths are no deeper then the depth of cut of the bit.

ByronConnDesign
04-16-2016, 12:13 PM
You'll want to make sure you cut the mortise larger in width then your tool diameter at that depth. With something that deep the vibration from countless factors can cause lots of problems. I would rough it slowly at wider then 5/8", blow all the chips out, and do a finish cut. Clearing chips during the cut will help a lot with the vibration.

Also might be a good idea to check your Z for square first

knight_toolworks
04-16-2016, 12:44 PM
You'll want to make sure you cut the mortise larger in width then your tool diameter at that depth. With something that deep the vibration from countless factors can cause lots of problems. I would rough it slowly at wider then 5/8", blow all the chips out, and do a finish cut. Clearing chips during the cut will help a lot with the vibration.

Also might be a good idea to check your Z for square first
good recommendations. thats the way with any cut really you can't get a exact 1/4" width cut with a 1/4" bit.

Ajcoholic
04-16-2016, 03:43 PM
I use a 5/8" solid carbide spiral end mill and ball end mill regularly (from Onsrud) in my 4 Hp HSD spindle.

No issues. I doubt at that diameter you will experience any flex in the bit - even a longer one. Its a pretty hefty hunk of carbide (with price to match).

AJC