PDA

View Full Version : Cutting banjo/guitar necks etc on a Shopbot

banjomanwv
04-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Been running 2 desktops for awhile now and we do inlay as a business and business is god but were buying a larger bot for neck and I don't know where to start. I think I need to get it laser scanned but after that is there anyone that might be willing to mentor me when the time comes?

ByronConnDesign
04-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Scanning technology changes so rapidly that a large investment may not be as beneficial as figuring out another means. What would you use the scanning for?

myxpykalix
04-17-2016, 04:52 PM
If it is a standard neck then chances are you can find it on the net as a 3D file already. Google is your friend....STL 3D gituar necks on Ebay also. There are plenty of sellers of 3D files already made on ebay.

banjomanwv
04-17-2016, 11:32 PM
Well, I am a banjo maker
www.davisbanjosandinlay.com
and I want to take one of my shaped necks and have it scanned so it will be like my necks that I make, and not just a generic neck

Burkhardt
04-17-2016, 11:51 PM
It surely can be scanned but I would try to find someone who can use Solidworks, Rhino or a similar CAD software and model it from your banjo necks' drawings or measurements. It is probably cheaper and then you can modify and tweak it easily in the future for different models. If you just scan it, modifications are cumbersome and there is always a possibility of scanning flaws that must be manually ironed out if you don't want a pimple on your neck...

If you don't mind the expense of the CAD software and (significant) learning curve you can do it yourself but that would only make sense it you use it more often. A quick Google of "Banjo Neck 3d model" showed several promising links with more info.

Once you have the model (scanned or direct design) you can cut it with a 2-sided flip or more elegant on an indexer.

Bob Eustace
04-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Well, I am a banjo maker
www.davisbanjosandinlay.com
and I want to take one of my shaped necks and have it scanned so it will be like my necks that I make, and not just a generic neck

The easiest solution would be to contact Brady on this forum as thats his main business. Hope this helps.

myxpykalix
04-18-2016, 01:25 AM
I scanned a rifle stock scanned for i think around $400.00.

Davo
04-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Why not use the Shopbot probe

banjomanwv
04-18-2016, 10:16 AM
Its not long enough, a banjo heel is about 3 inches tall or more and im thinking the collet part of the machine would hit the side of the banjo necks when trying to probe something that tall

Brady Watson
04-20-2016, 09:22 AM
I routinely scan necks for all string instruments, bodies etc. If you want it done right, contact me off list. If you want to flounder with a probe or consumer grade scanner, you should ask yourself why.

-B

Davo
04-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Brady I wondered if you were still alive

banjomanwv
04-24-2016, 09:06 PM
I don't, ill contact you......Im shaping one now

rcnewcomb
04-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Brady does fine work. I had him do a scan for me.

scottp55
04-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Same here on an antique Inuit carving in soapstone he did for me , and it even showed the pyrite inclusions(.0175") and just haven't carved it yet into fireplace wood knots(Hard Maple) yet.
Wood is now dry and maybe soon an example of the hi -def he gives.
scott

banjomanwv
04-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Randall you sent me that scan but I think there are maybe changes I want to make, probably easy ones but I don't know how, I sent yo ua private message a few days ago