PDA

View Full Version : Desktop v. dust top

Brad CAD
04-27-2016, 09:52 PM
In anticipation of taking delivery of a Desktop/spindle, I'm trying to plan for dust collection. I have a Festool Extractor that has been great for hand power tools, but even with the larger hose I'm thinking it might clog too quickly. Second option is a 4" connection from my dust collector system. Any suggestions?

Xray
04-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Harbor freight has a popular model without busting the bank - Sometimes goes as cheap as $160 on sales. Tons of reviews and lots of guys modding it for even better performance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

I combine that with a home brew pre separator and also a wynn filter, great performance and far cheaper than Jet ect

scottp55
04-28-2016, 06:58 AM
In the beginning I tried both a Delta1.25hp with a 4" hose choked down to 2.5" at the last second, and a small Craftsman shopvac.
The Shopvac did a better job, so it seems that low volume/high vac works best.
Now using Fein HEPA TII's with the small Dust deputy on both Desktops, and it works GREAT:)
only time I've ever clogged the 2.5" hose was in the beginning when hogging With the grain. As soon as I swapped to hogging Against the grain...no problems.
I's go with the Festool/2.5" hose with a 10' run/ and blast gates for your other tools if a one man shop.
scott