PDA

View Full Version : Vcarve Pro not loading on older control software

guitarwes
05-04-2016, 09:47 PM
I bought Vcarve Pro 2 days ago and went to load some part files and got an error message saying the CN command was not recognized. I shot ShopBot an email and the reply below was what I recieved. I called a few hours later and talked to the person who replied and he tried to explain what to do and was not really clear on how to do it because I'm running Windows XP, PartWizard, and 3.4.x control software on the computer that's running the machine and he was shotty on how to get into stuff on XP. The laptop I installed the Vcarve Pro on is running Windows Vista. My question is for anyone who has loaded the old post processor to the new software, what steps did you take to do this to get it to read? Thanks much in advance.

From Shopbot:
"The version of software and the post processor that you are using do not match. The current post uses CN but older post used C#. The custom cuts also get updated when the new software is installed. If you are running 3.4.x software you will have to use one of the older post processors as you may not be able to update the control software unless you have an alpha. If you can't update the software then you will need to copy the old post from
C:\SbParts\PartWorksPosts\PartWorksPosts_ARCHIVE
To
C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Pro - ShopBot Edition\V8.0\PostP
The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder so make sure that have hidden folders shown. If you have an older version of windows then the path will be different. In XP it is the Application Data folder. Let me know if you have any trouble sorting this out.

srwtlc
05-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Is this the SB branded VCP or Vectric VCP? If it's Vectric, you should be able to choose a PP in the list called ShopBot arc inch spindle control. If it's the SB branded VCP, go to C:\SbParts\PartWorksPosts\PartWorksPosts_ARCHIVE or ARCHIVAL and copy the PP file named ShopBot_Arc_inch_Spindle_control.pp or if you use the manual toolchange method, ShopBot_Arc_inch_Toolchange_control.pp and paste it into the PostP folder or My_PostP folder if you have it. Easiest way to find that folder in whatever OS you're using is to go to the File menu in VCP and choose 'Open Application Data Folder'.

guitarwes
05-05-2016, 10:03 AM
This is the VCP Shopbot edition.

Do I need to copy the post processor from the older computer hooked to the machine and transfer it to the laptop computer I have VCP on?

srwtlc
05-05-2016, 10:10 AM
If that is the one you have been using and it has given you usable cut files all along, then sure, use that one and you'll be running the same on each.

guitarwes
05-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Is it as simple as right clicking and copying the file in the old control software and saving it to a flash drive and then opening the VCP software and clicking the Open App Data Folder then opening the PostP folder and then right clicking and pasting it in there?

guitarwes
05-06-2016, 11:56 AM
I think I found a problem no one has caught yet and was overlooked by me in the beginning also. I am running PARTWIZARD and all of the info I've gotten so far says to go to the PartWorks post processor and copy/paste that into the Vcarve Pro PostP. The PostP in PartWizard is a .CON and may not be compatible with newer software (waiting on a call back right now from tech support at SB to confirm this). Is there a possibility that I may need an upgraded card in my control box for an upgrade? Has anyone had any problems upgrading their PRTalpha to the newer versions of everything?

srwtlc
05-06-2016, 01:17 PM
PWiz and PWorks are incompatible. PWiz was from ArtCam and PWorks is Vectric. If you're using VCPro now, just use the ShopBot arc inch spindle control pp that should be in the default pp list.

bleeth
05-06-2016, 02:58 PM
If you are trying to open files created in Part Wizard in Vectric you are out of luck. They are non compatible.
You may (I haven't tried this across different companies software) use right click copy on the selected vectors in PW and right click paste into Vectric.
I know this works from one Artcam product to another.
Then create your toolpath in Vcarve and save as Scott said.