PDA

View Full Version : dust collection for UHMW and PE

guitarwes
06-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Do you guys who cut a bunch of plastic just run it thru your regular wood dust collection system or do you have to rout it where it doesn't pass thru the motor? I'm about to start cutting some UHMW and didn't want to screw anything up. I have a baffle system in place now for my regular cutting and think it may work for the plastic but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

knight_toolworks
06-01-2016, 01:04 PM
all my shavings go through my dc. the only problem with UHMW is sometimes the shavings can be really long and tangle in things.

tri4sale
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
I got tired of hearing the loud "thunk" when pieces went thru the dust collector and hit the fan.

Added a garbage can and a trash can cyclone lid, total investment under $50, and now the pieces drop into the garbage can and don't hit the fan

Alos, 99% of the dust drops into the can too, so I just pull can out to empty dust, which is much easier than the bag on the Jet DC I have.

https://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Trash-Can-Cyclone-Lid/dp/B0035YD23K?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

knight_toolworks
06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
I got tired of hearing the loud "thunk" when pieces went thru the dust collector and hit the fan.

thats why they make cyclones then you can hear it roll around all day :D

guitarwes
06-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, we did the metal trashcan and Thein (?sp) baffle also for the regular wood cuts. Works great.