PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 free upgrade?

Greybarn
07-15-2016, 07:02 PM
So, the question is do I do the free upgrade to Windows 10? Or stay with Windows 7? Any thoughts?
Regards
Peter

jerry_stanek
07-15-2016, 07:28 PM
When I upgraded I lost the use of some of my programs that will not run on Windows 10

Davo
07-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Part of my job is IT work, I say wait due to compatibility issues we have been seeing

Greybarn
07-15-2016, 09:27 PM
This is for my control computer. My wife, who is in IT at a college, is saying "if it ain't broke why fix it". My argument is eventually the shopbot control software will have to be compatible with Windows 10. I hate dilemmas!

Burkhardt
07-15-2016, 09:50 PM
I am probably the last to give advice here because I am using a non-Shopbot controller. Nevertheless just to mention I took the risk with the machine laptop because I had upgraded 3 other computers with no hiccup and somehow I like Win 10 better.
I short, it still works no problem. However, Win10 is much more strict with allowing USB drivers to install. I had to jump through a few hoops (although described how to do by the maker of the controller) to get a driver installed that was not signed by Microsoft. It is possible, though. I don't know if the Shopbot drivers are signed but it may be an issue.

curtiss
07-16-2016, 07:23 AM
I think I would just buy a new machine with Windows 10 if you have to have it ... and tweak your system from there and not risk losing critical items.

Most businesses cannot afford a week or more of downtime with trying to get a few dozen people up and running with Windows 10 as they find out their old software no longer works.

Let’s see, still running the bot with XP that still seems to work well. Still have a Windows 95 computer that boots up...
Does ShopBot have a survey system where users could log in the type of software and OS they are using ?

I think the big item would still be virus protection, most of the "free software" has a virus agreement that you agree to...

scottp55
07-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Bob D couldn't seem to get this posted, but I thought it was pertinent:(
Not quite what I thought though;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/windows/yes-windows-10-subscriptions-are-coming-at-least-for-enterprise.html

knight_toolworks
07-16-2016, 11:19 AM
I only tried it because I got tired of the prompts to do it. it would not work. it would go almost all the way then just go back to 7. oh well.

phil_o
07-16-2016, 04:36 PM
I tried it and went back to 7, - Win 10 was killing my laptop battery. My battery was shutting down after 15 - 20 min.
I found an App to stop the annoying prompt to "upgrade" tp Win 10. It's called Never 10 http://www.pcworld.com/article/3048836/windows/never10-is-a-free-app-for-when-you-absolutely-positively-dont-want-windows-10.html

Phil

Greybarn
07-16-2016, 08:18 PM
I am planning to hold at Windows 7, and then just buy a new box some time into the future. This is the "if it ain't broke then why fix it" thinking.
Now all I have to do is get rid of annoying Windows 10 Upgrade reminder.

Michaelodunk
07-16-2016, 10:08 PM
I installed it, I had a few initial problems. Follow the directions.There are some good instructions on the net on how to kill a lot of things that suck up a lot of power and cpu

dlcw
07-17-2016, 09:21 PM
So, the question is do I do the free upgrade to Windows 10? Or stay with Windows 7? Any thoughts?
Regards
Peter

I found Windows 10 to be practically worthless unless you had full Internet access. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I still run Windows 7 for everything and will stick with it. Especially my control computer.

tri4sale
07-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Regards
Peter

My advise is to go ahead and do it now. You have 30 days to revert back to Win 7 if you don't like it. Supposedly the free upgrade offer ends on 7/29 so now is the time to do it.

I have upgraded most of my computers to Win 10 with no issues. My primary computer on the other hand, upgraded and it would crash quickly w/ a BSOD, troubleshooting come to find out the video card has issues on Win 10, so I reverted back to Win 7 with no issues.

jerry_stanek
07-18-2016, 05:30 PM
My advise is to go ahead and do it now. You have 30 days to revert back to Win 7 if you don't like it. Supposedly the free upgrade offer ends on 7/29 so now is the time to do it.

I have upgraded most of my computers to Win 10 with no issues. My primary computer on the other hand, upgraded and it would crash quickly w/ a BSOD, troubleshooting come to find out the video card has issues on Win 10, so I reverted back to Win 7 with no issues.

On one of my computers I tried it and it wouldn't run some programs so I tried to go back to Windows 7 and that failed so I'm stuck with Windows 10 on that computer as it was hard to get everything working before