PDA

View Full Version : Motors not locking?

EricSchimel
07-16-2016, 09:28 PM
I've got a circa 2008 PRS Standard. (The one with the black PC control box)

I've noticed a few times lately when I power it up my X, and sometimes Y motors don't lock up. When I try to jog the control software shows that it's sending steps, but the motors don't move.

It's only happened a couple of times, and the solution is to power the box back off for a minute or two and power it back on.

Today I was cutting some plywood and I noticed that my last pass (I run my last pass in reverse) was "off". It looked at first like I had lost steps...

I checked my toolpaths, slowed down my cutting, and tried again, and again and I had a similar issue, my last lass appeared as if I had lost steps.

I brought the tool back to 0,0 to see if I had actually lost steps and I hadn't...

I rebooted the computer, powered off the tool and powered everything back up and I was able to cut my part just fine.

Later it occurred to me that a reasonable explanation for what happened today is that one of my X motors didn't lock. I was already cutting pretty conservatively, and except for the last pass in the same direction. If my gantry was being dragged by only one motor, I wouldn't have noticed it racking until my last pass (remember it's in the reverse direction).

So, here's the question: What would cause my X and Y motors to randomly not lock when I power up my bot? I did a search here but I didn't see anything...

Michaelodunk
07-29-2016, 12:08 AM
I have a similar vintage bot and had the same problem. I had to replace the gecko drives that are in the computer. The gecko people are great they will test your drives free.