PDA

View Full Version : Not CNC Related...How to mount/frame an antique (maybe just old) wall map?

Burkhardt
08-30-2016, 12:47 AM
I hope this is not too much out of place here :confused: but I thought with all the practical folks here I can get help....

So I found that old geologic wall map of California from 1918, 4 feet wide and 5 feet tall. I think it has some value (maybe a couple of hundred?) but more important it is interesting and pretty. It is one of the old style maps printed on paper with fabric backing and top/bottom wood dowels to roll up and other than some stains and few wrinkles in reasonable shape. The fabric is getting brittle, though.

I would like to hang it on the wall but I am looking for some pointers how to mount that thing, i.e. what kind of backing and mounting technique that does not destroy it. I did not find much relevant information googling that topic.

Surely I could go to a professional paper restorator or specialty frame shop but given the size that may exceed the value of the map significantly.

Any ideas?

Thanks, G.B.

dmidkiff
08-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Maybe a shadow box deep enough that it can hang free. Hang in low sun light.