PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Powder Post Beatle

genek
10-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Here is a prime reason never to buy wood that has been stored for a long period of time..
A Friend called last week and asked if I would be interested in some walnut wood. I had known his dad, he was a fantastic wood worker and had made high end tables, beds and Cabinet. He had passed away a few years back and his son lived away from here. His son was getting ready to sale the shop and home place but needed to clean out the buildings. I went over and there was a full 1,000 board foot of walnut. Looking it over most was #1 common and above. I asked how much my friend said for $400.00 (that was a steal) I offered to pay going rate but he said no I just need to get it out of here... Good thing I did not pay going rate. This week our school system has been on fall break so I have had both of my apprentices all week.. WE load the wood and brought it to the shop. Today I had them to plane all of the walnut.. Tina and I went out to visit with a new customer that wanted some special products made.
I had told Tina that I had enough walnut to last me till after the first of the year. when we got back to the shop. The boys informed me of what they had found and seen in the wood. Out of that load of wood I got maybe 75 board foot of usable wood.. The rest will be sold as fire wood. I should have known better... live and learn..by the way the surface looked great.. this only showed up after we planed the wood.

Brian Harnett
10-15-2016, 09:40 PM
I would love to have a pile of wood like that, do not turn it into firewood wormy wood furniture and craft is big. Especially picture and mirror frames

tri4sale
10-15-2016, 09:48 PM
I would love to have a pile of wood like that, do not turn it into firewood wormy wood furniture and craft is big. Especially picture and mirror frames

Yup, seen similar things at some shows, they called it "distressed" wood.

genek
10-16-2016, 09:25 AM
This wood still has a live and active colony in it. Keeping it would cause infestation into my whole building. There is a major difference from wormy wood and wood infested with powder post.. This could even infest someones house and damage their furniture. I do not have a way to bring the wood up to a temperature that would kill the beetle. Best if I get rid of it.

carolinasmith
10-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Oh man, really feel for you!