PDA

View Full Version : High speed spindle alternatives

ajf
12-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm seriously thinking of replacing our Porter Cable router with HS spindle. Though our machine is not used heavily and the PC router has severed its purpose quite well. It is the level of sound that it generates that has become the issue. I'd love to purchase one of the Shopbot spindles however with the present rate of exchange and cost of shipping to our location, it ends up being a very expensive option. So I'm looking at other spindle alternatives knowing full well there may be issues with installation and reliability, but based on the use our machine gets it might still makes sense to go down this route. Hopefully I can get get some recommendations from others regarding alternative HS spindles that they have used on their ShopBot with success.
Just so you know we have tried a variety of scenarios running the machine to try to minimize the sound issue. It still comes down to having to run the machine when we are both in the shop working and that is has become the deciding factor.

Michaelodunk
12-13-2016, 02:00 PM
I have the same question. I am looking forward to some great input.

Thanks
Mike

paul_z
12-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Even with a spindle, you will still have "bit" noise. It is highly dependent on the bit and type of cut.

On the plus side, hearing the bit noise will give considerable information about how well you are cutting. I will sometimes use noise canceling headphones which tend to reduce the router noise but not much of the bit noise. (I don't know why.) Then I can get an idea of how well the cutting process is going.

Paul Z

Paul Z

steve_g
12-13-2016, 02:31 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-ER20-AIR-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-MATCHING-2-2KW-INVERTER-DRIVE-VFD-FOR-CNC-/251832589290

For less than the cost of a PC router I’m getting close to pulling the trigger. I’m getting tired of having to change the brushes every few years…
SG

jTr
12-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Wow! That's unbelievably cheap.

CAREFUL: it is a 3 PHASE unit.
(I think? says input 220 volt, Phase 1/3 ...? can anyone clarify what they mean exactly?)

If you can accommodate the 3 phase, it seems worth a try, as it is the same price as a PCable motor. I might consider one for my router table to replace the PCable I run in it, except the 3 phase immediately disqualifies it for me...

jeff

srwtlc
12-13-2016, 03:20 PM
220 1 phase in to the inverter and 3 phase out to the spindle.

Note that it is air cooled, not water cooled, and you will still get the fan noise since it is a shaft driven fan. Higher RPM, higher fan noise.

paul_z
12-13-2016, 04:06 PM
check this http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase-converters/87669-huanyang-hy02d223b-2-2kw-vfd.html

steve_g
12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Scott…
Can you give me any idea how the sound levels of a shaft driven fan on a spindle compare to a router?
SG

waynelocke
12-13-2016, 05:38 PM
I have used a 3KW Chinese air cooled spindle on my SB for 4 or more years and I am real pleased with it. I bought an Hitachi VFD after reading criticism of the Chinese VFDs. The total cost is much more than a router after purchasing the spindle, the VFD, the cable (I believe I paid $350/ft), and a few other incidentals I think that it came to around $800 but I have had no issues with it. It was a little sketchy in that the spindle came with minimal instructions and no wrenches. I don't put the hours on my SB that some do but it has worked great for me and the improved rpm control with the VFD is nice.

ajf
12-13-2016, 05:49 PM
I have used a 3KW Chinese air cooled spindle on my SB for 4 or more years and I am real pleased with it. I bought an Hitachi VFD after reading criticism of the Chinese VFDs. The total cost is much more than a router after purchasing the spindle, the VFD, the cable (I believe I paid $350/ft), and a few other incidentals I think that it came to around $800 but I have had no issues with it. It was a little sketchy in that the spindle came with minimal instructions and no wrenches. I don't put the hours on my SB that some do but it has worked great for me and the improved rpm control with the VFD is nice.
Could you give me the model number for the spindle and the VFD so I can look up information on them. What did you do to attach the spindle to the Z axis on the Shopbot or did it come with some type of mounting hardware.

srwtlc
12-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Steve, I don't have a larger one, but with my little 1hp one, it's still better than a PC router. I'd think it would be somewhere in between a PC router and an electric fan cooled one. The faster I run the little one, the louder it is, but it isn't anywhere near the level of a PC. Just wanted to clarify that it would be louder than an electric fan cooled one and a water cooled one due to it being a shaft driven fan like a PC is.

This guy has a nice selection of Chinese spindles/vfds. http://ugracnc.com/

kaetamer
12-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Second vote for UgraCNC. Very professional, reasonable price, excellent support. Been running my 2.2kw water cooled spindle for ~ 2 years with ZERO problems. NFI.

bleeth
12-14-2016, 04:56 AM
Once you go spindle you will kick yourself for not having done it sooner and never go back.

919RickR
12-14-2016, 06:52 AM
I have a 3 hp spindle from UGRACNC.com. 220 single phase in to inverter, 3phase out to spindle. I'm very happy with it.
The fan noise is still less than what the router makes. Comes with wrenches. You can also purchase accessories ( collets, nuts etc. )
I had to make my own mounting plate
Andy is located in Pennsylvania.
Good Luck
Rick

ajf
12-14-2016, 12:53 PM
I've looked at the UGRACNC site and a nice selection of equipment. I'm interested in a air cooled spindle in the 2.2 kw size range and was wondering what models people have been happy with as well as what VFD inverters they have been choosing. Also what is their experience with cabling these units together and making their own mounting brackets.

waynelocke
12-14-2016, 06:03 PM
I don't know the model number and there is no ID plate on the spindle. The spindle is square and I mounted it to a 3/8" aluminum plate and then to the Z axis.