PDA

View Full Version : Trouble importing vectors to Vcarve from dwg

kposton
06-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Just getting started after training in Durham last week. Using VCarve pro, I've tried to import vectors from Autocad in both dwg and dxf format. Attempting to import but nothing shows up. ACad layer does appear after import. What could I be doing wrong?

curtiss
06-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Been a while since I have done it, but I believe save the AutoCad drawing to a dxf format.

You need to have the dxf linework fairly close to the 0,0 point as it imports to V Carve Pro related to the 0,0 point.

Select all the line work on the dxf, right clic and select “copy”

Move to the Vectric screen and select paste.

If the Autocad layer has been created your linework might be there but "just far far away" from the 0,0 point

Burkhardt
06-10-2017, 09:58 AM
I import .dwg format files (not from Autocad but another CAD software) into VcarvePro all the time without problems. I would suspect Curtiss is right or the layer is turned off?

tri4sale
06-10-2017, 10:13 AM
first time I imported, couldn't find the drawing either. Zoomed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy out and there it was, at like 1500,1500 coordinates.

kposton
06-10-2017, 10:32 AM
first time I imported, couldn't find the drawing either. Zoomed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy out and there it was, at like 1500,1500 coordinates.

You're not kidding, way off doesn't quite describe it. Being used to ACad, i was wishing for a "zoom extents" command. Looks like "zoom to drawing" is the trick. Thanks everyone, now if I only get my machine in soon enough to try this all out....

Ken.
PS Just realized, I'm pretty sure the problem is the size of the drawing area. In another attempt, I realized I imported some stuff successfully and didn't have this problem due to the smaller drawing area.

EricSchimel
06-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Press "F" when that happens again. That will zoom out to show everything that's in the drawing. That'll save you from having to zoom so far. It's just like Zoom Extents in AutoCAD

myxpykalix
06-10-2017, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure but once you import your vectors and BEFORE you do anything else those vectors are still "selected" and if you go over to the centering commands and have your vectors moved to center that will keep you from having to search for them....?

scottp55
06-10-2017, 09:22 PM
To add to Jack's comment...BEFORE centering in material...press "G" (to group all the vectors)and perhaps copy original to a separate layer before centering in material before you make any changes(so the original is always there in case you muck it up and need to recheck something or start over).
Just press "U" to ungroup after you have it positioned.
Not positive in this particular circumstance, but HAVE centered a .dxf/.eps from someone else, and wound up with a ton of segments ALL centered on TOP of each other:(
(Thank Heavens for Control Z!) :)