PDA

View Full Version : Using bits with bearing guides on CNC ?

DavidWeberRMHS
10-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Is anybody using bits with bearing guides on Shopbots? Wondering if this is even possible and if it is how is it set up?

steve_g
10-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Bad Idea…
Unless you are using the CNC as a pin router and are moving the part/pattern by hand.

The CNC code is controlling the movement of the bit, conflict between the code and the pattern will result in either missed steps or a broken bit.
SG

dlcw
10-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Like Steve said, I wouldn't recommend it. If vectors are even a little bit off from where the material is, you will most likely end up with either broken bit or the CNC will jam - if your material is held down REALLY well from moving - thus loosing steps and things are really messed up. Guide bearing bits are for the router table or freehand routing.

EricSchimel
10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
David, what's the reason you want to do this? Perhaps if we knew why there could be another solution to your problem...

DavidWeberRMHS
10-05-2017, 01:08 PM
I really don't have a specific project in mind I was just wondering if it was even possible. It doesn't sound like it is. One idea I had was decorative edge on a cabinet door after carving the center panel on the shopbot. Sounds like the solution is go back to the router table.

DavidWeberRMHS
10-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Thanks all, kind of what I figured. Just thought maybe someone had a trick that I didn't know.

garyb
10-05-2017, 01:26 PM
You can purchase plunging profile tooling for that
Google "Plunging profile router bits"
Gary