PDA

View Full Version : latest sign

bobmoore
10-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Our latest sign. Sikkens log and siding stain and pvc letters. customer installed with their own posts. I think they will stain them in the spring. It is going to snow for the next few days.

flatheadyoungin
10-25-2017, 10:31 AM
That looks great! Thanks for sharing.....

Tom Bachman
10-25-2017, 09:32 PM
Nice! Details?

joe
10-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Bob,

Excellent layout and choice of letters.Good treatment for the posts too.
It looks as you pocketed the letters?

bobmoore
10-27-2017, 08:22 AM
thanks gentlemen;
the customer wanted an old German font to reflect their heritage. Most of the old European fonts are actually hard for us to read so we had to modernize a few of the letters to make them more legible. We then pocketed the letters and adhered them with E6000. So far I have had good success with that as it doesn't harden and allows the wood to expand and contract without popping the pvc letters off.

joe
10-27-2017, 09:13 AM
You've use some excellent techniques here.

The technique of pocketing guarantees letter placement to be correct. That's ever so important for letters or a curve and for unusual letter styles. Also the use of E6000 is just about as good adhesive on the market. The 6100 is even better, for me, since it doesn't run. Much thicker.

I'm also fond of Sikkens to be one of surface stains. As good as it is the UV does cause a repaint in four or five years.

I trust others have learned from your post.

Charlie_J
10-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Very nice... Love the wood. Hard to tell if it's Redwood or Aromatic Cedar or Pine (Stained)... Do you paint the PVC?

Thanks for sharing!

bobmoore
10-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks Joe. I will have to try 6100. Haven't seen it in stores around here but Amazon will have it.
Charlie the wood was actually western red cedar. I do always paint my pvc although it was pointed out to me that the new deck pvc's last for years without yellowing. I also like the better sheen and color selection paint gives me over raw pvc. Bob

joe
10-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Bob,

I think the 6100 only comes in the caulking tube size. It's the toughest, flexible, adhesive I've found. I like using it when joining materials that don't expand and contract at the same rate.