PDA

View Full Version : Z-Zero routine

Tom Bachman
04-28-2018, 09:49 PM
OK, now that I have my machine back and running with the original box I am trying to get the Z-zero routine to work.

Never have been able to get it to work with the old box, but when I put on the 4g box it worked like a charm. Now that I am back to the old box, it is, sort of, half working. When I run the C2 routine, the bit will go down touch the bit, it reads .121 the thickness of the plate. Then the software shows the z moving to the 1" and then coming back down to the plate again (.121) then back up to 1"....but after touching the plate the first time the Z stops moving, despite what the software is showing. This is still better than what I had before, but would sure be nice to get it working correctly.

Any ideas? By the way the 4g box is still for sale.

curtiss
04-29-2018, 02:47 PM
So you are selling the 4G box you just bought ?

Seems there would be someone you could visit not too far away that would have the same setup so you could get it working.

... with the Z plate ... when the bit touches the plate you should see the z number on the screen change to the thickness of you plate.

Tom Bachman
04-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Yup on both counts. I've decided to sell the 4g box and not fight it any longer. I think, in order to make it work right I would really need to put a bunch of money into the basic machine, rather than do that, it is working ok the way it is. If I decide I need faster cutting/movement I'll upgrade to a newer machine.

On the zeroing routine, Yes it goes down touching the top of the plate it reads ,121 Then it shows the axis moving up to 1" (but the axis does not move) Shows coming back down on the .121 then back to 1". All this without the axis moving after the first touch.

srwtlc
04-29-2018, 07:38 PM
Did you possibly update your software/firmware when trying out the 4G box and didn't back it down for the old controller?

Tom Bachman
04-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Did you possibly update your software/firmware when trying out the 4G box and didn't back it down for the old controller?Nope, I uninstalled the the newer version and installed the older version again.

I'm actually closer to the Z-zero plate working than before.

jerry_stanek
04-30-2018, 06:42 AM
did you reinstall the firmware

tomhartnett
04-30-2018, 08:36 AM
When the bit touches the plate, does input 1 trigger in the software?
With regular motion commands does the z move both up and down correctly? I'd give it Move->Z, 1 and Move->Z, 0 commands.
Do make sure you have run the Utilities->Install Control Box Firmware routine.

Gary Campbell
04-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Tom B..
If you were not able to get the 4G setup to drastically outperform its predecessor, you most likely didn't get a proper firmware loaded or had some settings muffed.

gundog
05-01-2018, 10:31 PM
If it were me I would ditch the zero plate and get an APM tool setter off ebay for $130. I no longer have a SB and my machine had an electronic switch it sucked as bad as the aluminum plate on my old SB I tried the APM tool setter and would never use either one again. I have no connection to that company but I sure like the tool. There is no doubt when using it what height your tool is at. It is nothing special just a dial indicator in a base.

jerry_stanek
05-02-2018, 08:29 AM
I can't see why you were having so much trouble with the 4G box unless you INI file didn't load right or held the old settings.

tomhartnett
05-02-2018, 10:40 AM
We in support are also happy to get the V4G control board running or help find what the issue was if you ever installed it again or tried to get it working even though it is second hand. Just shoot a request over to support@shopbottools.com

-Tom

GeneMpls
05-02-2018, 01:04 PM
APM tool setter How is that used? Does the SB wiring to the touch plate connect to it? Thanks Gene

coryatjohn
05-02-2018, 01:28 PM
How is that used? Does the SB wiring to the touch plate connect to it? Thanks Gene

You lower the tool manually (with the K) until it contacts the plate, at which time you move it using the "fixed" increment (D keyboard shortcut) until the needle reaches zero. Then set the Z to the instrument height which is 3" in the case of this tool. It's a bit more work but plenty accurate. I prefer a manual method to the plate method any day. While the touch plate may make people feel they are doing it right, there is so much room for error that it's better to not use it at all in my opinion.

gundog
05-04-2018, 11:57 AM
You lower the tool manually (with the K) until it contacts the plate, at which time you move it using the "fixed" increment (D keyboard shortcut) until the needle reaches zero. Then set the Z to the instrument height which is 3" in the case of this tool. It's a bit more work but plenty accurate. I prefer a manual method to the plate method any day. While the touch plate may make people feel they are doing it right, there is so much room for error that it's better to not use it at all in my opinion.

He has it right. I have gauge blocks and precision parallels that allow me to calibrate the APM tool setter because I do other machine work. I like this method for me it is no slower than my old switch and the aluminum plate. My old electronic switch was only accurate to about .005" repeatable and I destroyed 2 of them when they fail you crunch the switch and they cost $395. This tool will also be better on tools with sharp points you don't want to damage. It has .375" of over travel so it does not come up against a hard stop. I will shoot a short video showing it in use and how you can check calibration when I use it next time. When I ordered mine I had just destroyed my second electronic switch and was not about to buy another one. I was skeptical ordering it off ebay but when I got it I was impressed by the quality it turns out the guy that makes them is about 10 miles from me although I have never met him.

Tom Bachman
05-05-2018, 10:29 PM
did you reinstall the firmware
No, didn't think about that. How do I back the firmware off?

Tom Bachman
05-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Tom B..
If you were not able to get the 4G setup to drastically outperform its predecessor, you most likely didn't get a proper firmware loaded or had some settings muffed.
Oh, it would move like nobodies business....it was like the X2 motor was trying to keep up with X1 and not being successful.

jerry_stanek
05-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Did you try dropping the motors and see if both turned. I had one of my x motors that the plugged wasn't all the way in and that is what happened. As for the firmware you just reload it with the UI command or look under utilities some times it takes 2 or more to get it to load correctly.

Tom Bachman
05-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Thanks Jerry.