PDA

View Full Version : Long shank beading bit?

myxpykalix
11-21-2018, 01:42 AM
OK put your thinking caps on for me. I am 700 miles away from my shopbot, no one in this area i can't find with a cnc. I have no router table so i was going to make a cheap one out of plywood.

I am trying to recreate this door trim molding. The problem is the beading bit i have is too short. I wanted the trim to be about 3" wide and maybe 1/2" blank on each side but by the time the bit sticks thru the table it might bead the bottom part of a board and not the center.
I can't afford a molder/shaper for a grand. Does anyone know where i can find a longer shank beading bit? I've looked on ebay, amazon and magnate. Or if you have a better solution or other way to do this please tell me! thanks

myxpykalix
11-21-2018, 03:12 AM
They don't make anything like this for the table saw do they?

myxpykalix
11-21-2018, 03:43 AM
Research led me to table saw molding kits. Any recommendations for a triple bead molding cutter?

dmidkiff
11-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Craftsman makes a molder head for the table saw. The should have all shapes of cutters to put in it. Shopsmith also used to make a molder head and all shapes of cutters. Not sure if Shopsmith is still in business.

jerry_stanek
11-21-2018, 12:05 PM
I have one of the Craftsman cutters I got from my father in law works pretty good just be careful of knots in the wood. Kick back caused 11 stitches in my palm