PDA

View Full Version : Calibration Issues

mrdovey
08-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Yesterday morning I fired up my Bot and got a message to the effect that SBCUT was unable to determine my CPU speed, that my SHOPBOT.INI file had been corrupted, and that I could try exiting and restarting SBCUT to cure the problem.

Easy enough - I terminated and restarted SBCUT and immediately discovered that my hand-tuned SHOPBOT.INI file had been discarded and a default file installed with a horribly wrong Z-axis steps-per-inch value. I restored the working value (helpfully provided by ShopBot two years ago) and was back in business.

But then I decided to do a bit of "belt and suspenders" checking to make sure that the value was, in fact, correct...

I zero'd the Z axis and did an "MZ 3" - then got out a 1-2-3 block (accurate to within 0.0002") and discovered that the block stood almost a quarter of an inch higher than the bottom of the bit.

I re-checked with moves to z = 1 and z = 2 and found that the errors seemed to be at least approximately proportional.

I fiddled around with the parameter until I arrived at what appeared to give me accurate z-axis movement, wrote the working parameter value in my Command Reference, and paused (nervously) to consider the implications of it all.

What, I wondered, if there are also problems with my x- and y-axis setup?

I ended up clamping a digital caliper to the end of my table, opening the jaws, lowering the bit between the jaws, closing the movable jaw until it contacted the bit, and pressing the "zero" button on the caliper to get a 0.000" reading. Then I issued a "MX %(1)+1" command to move exactly one inch from the current position in the positive x direction, followed by a "MX %(1)-0.5" to back away from the caliper jaw before issuing an "MZ 3" command to give me enough room to read the caliper. The caliper readout indicated that the Bot had actually moved 0.992"

I'm not sure where the discrepencies come from; but they're definitely there and weren't the result of lost steps. They aren't terribly difficult to correct - but I'd made the mistake of assuming that because the parameter values came from ShopBot, they'd be accurate to the precision of which the machine is capable. My bad - but I learned a worthwhile lesson that I'll pass along to the group:

Assume nothing - check your machine.

gerald_d
08-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Morris, I wouldn't try and correct a perceived error measured over only one inch. I would have absolute faith in the list (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=312&post=18437#POST18437) of recognised unit values and stick with them.

mrdovey
08-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Gerald...

Agreed. I /did/ have absolute faith until I took careful measurements and found that the 1833.47 steps/inch value produced a significant error (> 4.75mm over 76mm) on my machine. The error was consistant and proportional over the full range of z-axis movement measured against a calibrated standard.

It'll be more difficult to get (long) precise measurements along the x- and y-axis. My digital calipers are only the 6" variety - so I'm a bit range limited. However, If I can minimize errors over that range, I would expect improved accuracy over longer distances.

I recall once reading something like:
"In theory, there is no difference between 'theoretical' and 'real world' - but in the real world such differences are common."

In the case of my machine, the difference appears to exceed 25 steps/inch on the z-axis.

...Morris

gerald_d
08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Very strange.... The standard list is based on the gear makers being precision companies. You don't perhaps have metric gears or something odd like that?

mrdovey
08-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Gerald...

I don't /think/ I have anything (intentionally) non-standard.

The up-side of this scenario is that the guys at ShopBot provided the VU command to enable correction and fine tuning each of the axes.

Having identified a possible problem, and having recognized an easy solution - it seemed worthwhile to put out a "heads up" to the forum members and to encourage an easily made check.

...Morris