PDA

View Full Version : a simple sign that just worked well

knight_toolworks
02-04-2019, 02:36 PM
the plywood is bamboo dyed with India ink and a couple coats of water base finish with white 1/2" sintra inlay.

jTr
02-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Classy!
I love the deep black that still carries wood grain pattern.

jeff

knight_toolworks
02-06-2019, 04:36 PM
ya india ink works great on wood. about the only good looking bamboo I have seen. it does kinda look like the top of a hostess cupcake.

curtiss
02-06-2019, 07:12 PM
nice looking table ....

so you get bamboo plywood where ???
... it cuts very clean I assume ? stays very flat ?

knight_toolworks
02-06-2019, 10:02 PM
You don't see it as much but it is at a couple of my wood suppliers. it can be really splintery. the weird thing is the darker it is the more splintery it is. plus it can take a extra pass to make sure it cuts accurately.

Burkhardt
02-07-2019, 05:37 PM
You don't see it as much but it is at a couple of my wood suppliers. it can be really splintery. the weird thing is the darker it is the more splintery it is. plus it can take a extra pass to make sure it cuts accurately.

The darker shades of bamboo are heat treated which makes them pretty but since it degrades the binder between the fibers it does get splintery to the point it is hand to handle without gloves. That is still O.K. for decorative purposes and all bamboo in my opinion cuts beautifully and actually cleaner than most hardwoods but for anything structural one should only use the straw colered "natural" variety which is unfortunately rather bland.

I have used Bamboo as plywood extensively and like it very much. Actually I built my CNC machine frame and gantry from natural Bamboo plywood. No regrets, harder and stiffer than BB and e.g. if you cut a slot with an upcut end mill there is almost no fuzz (or can be removed with a fingernail). Lately I did not use it that much because it has become so friggin expensive. Anderson Plywood here in Culver City wanted $240 for a full sheet.

knight_toolworks
02-07-2019, 09:29 PM
yes its pretty stiff. I hate the smell of it. but its s too expensive for most jobs.

Burkhardt
02-07-2019, 10:18 PM
....I hate the smell of it.....
I don't know...smells like cut grass to me. I mean real grass not that grass.
Anyway, if somebody wants to experiment, get a large APTITLIG chopping board from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80233430/
High quality single vertical ply board for modest money (I did not say cheap). Actually excellent for V-Carving and maybe I should try an inlay with dark wood sometimes.