PDA

View Full Version : Sudden problem with my z-plate...

jeffreymcgrew
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey all. Really weird problem cropped up the other day with my z-plate.

It was working fine for a while, but about three days ago it suddenly thinks that my router is part of the circut. I mean that if I take the clamp and plate off the holder, and touch them I can watch the light on the control panel turn on and off just like it should, but then if I touch the clamp to the bit or the router body it, too, makes the light trigger. Which has me a bit concerned, for it very much sounds like a short someplace. I've looked at all the Z-plate wires and can't find any problems at all. They look good. Could something else be putting a slight charge into my Shopbot frame that's triggering the z-plate? Anyone run into something like this before?

brian_harnett
03-27-2007, 07:06 PM
The router is also part of the circuit, unless I am not understanding what you are saying what is happening is normal.

jeffreymcgrew
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
no, see, the light is turning on when the clamp, and only the clamp, is touching the bit and/or router body. I'm holding the plate, and it's not touching anything.

So what happens when I try to run the z-zero routine I get a 'cannot clear' error for the shopbot thinks the plate and the bit are touching, when they aren't, because of this short (or whatever) it thinks they are always touching...

paco
03-28-2007, 12:22 AM
The Z-plate circuit is grounding somewhere... maybe it is connected the other way around...?