PDA

View Full Version : Columbo bearing replacement?

brm24
03-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Has anyone replaced the top bearings in a columbo spindle RS 90. We think we may have a problem with the top bearings. There is a very slight noise that almost sounds like a grind coming from right under the fan at the top. It is not the fan itself; It seems internal. We have had this PRT shopbot for 4 years. If there is anyone with information on either replacing the bearings or tips of what the problem may be, please do not hesitate to email me at brm5017@psu.edu (mailto:brm5017@psu.edu). Any advice would be great. Thanks again.

-brett

fleinbach
03-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Once I herd a grinding sound and thought it was coming from my Columbo spindle. This was after it plunged to deep and was still in the material. I could replicate the sound by pressing the top edge of the spindle. I fianaly realized it was coming from my stepper motors.

brm24
03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
what do you mean, the top edge of the spindle? Near the fan?

fleinbach
03-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes, I pressed about 1' down from the top on the aluminum case.

nappy1
03-09-2005, 09:38 PM
If you have a problem with your spindle, don't take it apart. I did that once and it was a mistake. The entire unit needs to be ballanced after assembly and only a qualified repair center can do it.
Send it to PDS, they are the Colombo service center for North America.
You can check them out on the web just search pds colombo. It may be www.pdscolombo.com.