PDA

View Full Version : HSD speed control difficulty

jharmon
07-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Hello,

I don't know if something has malfunctioned or not but I cannot seem to adjust my "FREF" value adequately on the VFD.

I am brand new to this HSD spindle and I read that it needs a warm up procedure (pg. 14 of "HSD Manual for use with the ShopBot PRTalpha and PRSalpha"). It seems very simple but I am stuck!

The manual says simply "On the VFD keypad move the frequency value to 150 and hit the start button on the control box". I assume they mean to continue pressing the up arrow but mine increments in .1 steps up to 18.0 and stops there. I can't figure out how to get it to 150 - let alone 225 or 300 as it says to do in the following steps.

Is there a parameter somewhere that is limiting this setting that I need to modify or do I have a punk VFD?

Thanks for your help!
Jim

Gary Campbell
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Jim...
I think your VFD is displaying Thousands RPM instead of frequency. the instructions are in frequency. Frequency X 60 = RPM example: 150 X 60 = 9000 rpm. set VFD to 9000, 13,500, 18,000 (9.0, 13.5, 18.0)
Gary

jharmon
07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks. I see... I see my max Frequency Max (n011) is set to 300 so 60x300 = 18000 so that all makes sense.

What I didn't get also was why my system just ignores the TR command. I did a search before posting and found a spindle warm up "custom cut" program that uses this command and when I put it in there the speed never changed. I'm confused about that. Any ideas?

Thanks again
Jim

Gary Campbell
07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Jim...
Do you have the spindle control board (and drivers) installed? I havnt seen one....yet.

I am trying to find info on how 2 spindles are treated before I purchase.
Gary

jharmon
07-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dang, I just now saw on the sb website that I need to spend another couple hundred bucks to get that feature. Sorry to be obtuse but I didn't know I needed more stuff to get computer control of the spindle speed. I'd better hold off - the black hole in my wallet is getting the boss agitated!

Thanks again for educating me. I appreciate it.
Jim

Gary Campbell
07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Jim...
I was also just educated. The answer that I hoped for (one board that would control both spindles) was just passed along to me. You select the number of spindles during software setup. I gets better (and more expensive) all the time!
Gary