PDA

View Full Version : Probe "disconnect" problem

dale_ludewig
07-18-2004, 06:21 PM
I recently bought a benchtop PRT. By and large it is wonderful, but I have consistent frustrating problems using my probe. It will run sometimes flawlessly for 24 or more hours at a time and complete a file. Other times it will run a couple hours and then give me a message that the "connection between the computer and the shop bot" has been lost. I'm running the latest (3.14) software, Windows 98SE, a Pentium equivalent desktop, no screen saver, using a UPS, recently installed capacitor in the probe connection (which I thought had cured the problem- but NO). I'm scanning 0.050 in both XY direction, xy speed of .3, Z axis speed of .6. I don't understand why it can run for hours and hours, and then suddenly I get a "not connected" message. The program also tells me I have "4 in buffer", or "6 in buffer". I click "OK" and then can continue but the program/ machine then usually just locks up and I have to start over.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Suggestion?
Thanks.
Dale Ludewig

Brett H. (Unregistered Guest)
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Dale,
I'm a New Botter myself so I don't know if I can help but I too have gotten that message, just not while probing. Usually it's between cutting programs, however it did happen once while it was running a routine. I found once that the USB cable had wiggled loose at the connection at the control box. I got some large heat shrink tubing and put it on that connection, similar to the connetion at the stepper motors and have not had that problem since. I'm just starting to use my probe and am finding it very time consuming. How has your resolution been with the stepover settings you mentioned?.