PDA

View Full Version : Z-Plate Problem

prosigns
01-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Hope someone can help. I tried using my Z-Plate today. I put the z-plate under the router bit. hit zero z axsis from the toolbox on the control panel. Usually when I click on start I just get a message saying put z-*plate under bit and start or words to that effect. However, now I get the 'TOOL IN MOTION" Warning and then a pause in file warning. If I click continue... the bit doesn't stop when it hits the z-plate. Is there a control for the z-plate that may have gotten disabled? I'm at a loss. I'm cutting metal, so "Z" 0 needs to be accurate. Any suggestions how to fix the problem? Thanks

serge
01-15-2004, 11:40 PM
first try checking by just touching the plate to your router that the blinker in your computer is activated, if nothing happens it could be a bad wire or connection

jerryk
01-16-2004, 08:41 AM
One other possibility to check is your router bearings. I had a similar problem, bearings were either damaged or dirty and therefore router bit would not complete the ground.

jay
01-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Interesting timing, yesterday I was routing and a screw appeared on the spoil board. The grounding screw for the router had vibrated loose and was no longer grounding the router to the rest of the machine.

The other problem Serge suggested. I have had a broken wire going to the z zero plate. I just used a continuity tester to find the problem. But Serge’s suggestion of touching the plate to the router is a better suggestion.

ron brown
01-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Touching the plate to the router tells you if the router is grounding. It will not tell you where the break is if it is not.

A continuity tester is a good tool to have. It can help in telling you where a wire is not connected and at times, tell you where there is a intermittent ground.

Intermittent problems can be a real bear to chase down. Two intermittent problems that seem to be the same or related can be very frustrating.

Ron Brown

bill.young
01-17-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm wondering if your s_zzero.sbp or custom cut file somehow got modified, or renamed so that the wrong file's being called? You should still get the "Hit enter when you're ready" message when you start, even if the z-zero plate is not working correctly.

What version of the software are you using?

Bill

robtown (Unregistered Guest)
01-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Did you hit C2 to run the z-plate routine?

prosigns
01-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I found the problem. I am cutting from a steel plate. I moved a clamp that was on the wood table and clamped it at the corner to get it out of the way of my next part. (ON THE STEEL TABLE FRAME). So, now when I zeroed "Z" the bit made contact with the Z plate, but when it raised up the contact was not broken because the Z plate was grounded to the steel workpiece,,,through the metal clamp...and to the steel table. So the "Z" process could not be completed. As soon as I repositioned the clamp the #1 "INPUT" light went out and all was well with the world again. Only down side was, in the process I reinstalled the shopbot program trying to fix the problem. So I had to set up all the unit values, bit preferences, etc. that I lost. It's working, so I'm happy. Thanks for everyones "INPUT", no pun intended.

gerald_d
01-18-2004, 02:24 AM
Thanks for coming back and telling us!

We have some thick double-sided tape under our zero plate to cushion the impact of the bit hitting it. This will help you as an electrical insulator as well.