PDA

View Full Version : Another PR - newer computer post

ljdm
08-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Will Sb238sx run in a DOS window with XP? Want to switch from a really slow 25mhz DOS 6.22 only machine to a faster machine - old PC takes forever to load all the lines in the partfiles. Also will be able to run wireless from house to shop to transfer files, instead of sneakernet. Any info appreciated. Machine is 2000 PR running on SB214(?) Can't do the upgrade to newer controller just yet.

Brady Watson
08-09-2007, 11:26 AM
No. You need Win98 or older to run true DOS.

-B

ljdm
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
In the house, I run XP Pro, and run Sb238 in a DOS window, was running Sb203 before that. The shop computer is XP home version, won't let me install Sb203 in DOS window. Didn't even try Sb238, got an error message about running 16bit program(or something similar). Possibly XP Pro has 16bit support, or whatever Home version is lacking?

bcammack
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Anybody tried FreeDOS? http://www.freedos.org

Brady Watson
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Lou,
XP does not run true DOS.

Brett,
DOS emulators are pretty much useless when running a CNC tool. I've tried this in the past to run 2.39 on XP Pro via VirtualPC with DOS and the machine crawled and was very unresponsive to commands.

-B

ljdm
08-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I only knew that Sb2 ran in a DOS window. You saved me the trouble of actually trying to run the machine in that way. Any idea how much difference I'll see (if any)by switching from 2.14 to 2.38? Is that a simple upgrade, or is there more involved? Thanks

Lou

Brady Watson
08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
It's a simple upgrade & you won't see any difference. All changes are 'behind the scenes'. You will see a difference if you did a 4G upgrade and ran the Windows software. For the price vs. performance/quality that you'd get, the upgrade is a no-brainer. It will totally transform your PR into a smooth running machine capable of cutting 4 to 8IPS and jogging 10 to 14 IPS, depending on your computer & router/spindle/material being cut. The difference is night & day. It's like having a new machine again...except it won't sound like a deisel.

-B

bcammack
08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
FreeDOS _is not_ an emulator. You format your HD, install FreeDOS and run your computer with DOS.

It's Open Source DOS, but has better memory management, network connectivity, and things like a web server, media player, etc.

I'm not a fan of emulators.