PDA

View Full Version : Faster jogging

cnc_works
03-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Just a report on my recent experience upgrading my shopbot control computer. Previously had a 1ghz system, upgraded to a 2.6ghz, Windows XP, Windows SB software. The ShopBot is consistently and reliably jogging at 6ips. After cutting several 1/2 sheets of plex with probably at 20 to 30 complex parts with a bit change in the middle, it returned to zero perfectly. Cut times from 60 minutes to 40 minutes on a 1/2 sheet. Even moves seem smoother, though I haven't pushed the cut speed. I dunno, maybe I'm just finding out what everybody else knows, but I'm sure pleased.

Secondly, a kudos to B. Scott & ShopBot. Lost connection with the controller last Friday, spent Friday and Saturday 'til about 2pm doing everything I could think of to troubleshoot. Finally emailed SB at 2 and got a call from B. Scott at 3 on Saturday. Yeah, complex fix. Dust in the power switch. But what great support!

Donn

mikejohn
03-17-2005, 03:38 AM
Something has hijacked my komputer so when I type certain words, it provides a link to a search engine, hence the 'k' instead of the 'c' and other miss-spelled words(I'm running spiware/adaware/virus checker but can not remove it!)
Don
An interesting post for me, as my long awaited ShopBot (nearing England, but can not pick up until 29th as the freight company close down for Easter
) is going to need a komputer.
The komputer I am using now is 2ghz, Windows XP, 512Ram.
I am going to need to buy a new komputer, either to run the ShopBot, or replace this one, which will then be used to run the ShopBot.
The new one is going to be in the 2.6ghz range.
Should I format this komputer, only re-load Windows XP, load Windows SB, and go from there, or should I use the new komputer for the ShopBot.
If I use the old komputer, do I need extra memory?
Is Windows XP the right programme? I also have Windows 98.
I am using one of these modern thin 'soft screen' monitors (can't remember what they are called, old age
). I can buy a 'standard' monitor at a much better price. Which will be the better monitor for the ShopBot?
Any advice about keyboards?
Although this thread title "fast jogging" doesn't mention computers, that does seem to be the gist of Donns' message, so I don't consider this thread drift

Thanks as always
...........Mike

Brady Watson
03-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Donn,
Zero the tool out at the left corner of the table. With stop watch in hand, tell it to jog 60" and time it. I bet you are running at 5 IPS even when you tell it to run 6 IPS...It's still a LOT better than running @ 3!!!

Mike,
My advice to you would be to remove the hard drive in the computer that you have now, and replace with a new one. This will naturally remove any spyware, viruses or other stuff that will cause connectivity problems with the bot. The computer you specified is more than adequate for your Alpha. WinXP Pro is probably the best choice, with XP Home Ed. after that. I can't stress enough how important it is to install the minimum amount of programs on the machine that will run the bot. That means...don't get on the internet on that computer or load anti-virus etc. Clean, lean and mean. Then buy a new computer for your office and use that to design and get on the net.

The last thing that you want is to get your new tool setup, and then be dealing with your computer interupting the SB controller.

-Brady

bleeth
03-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Mike and all others: If you don't already know it, ALL so-called "free-downloads" of screensavers, cursors, atavars and especially "smileys" come packed with adware programs. Many of these programs immediately write sub-routines onto your computer in a buried registry that automatically regenerate the program if you delete it through the use of lavasoft or some other spyware identifier. Junk e-mail that comes in on your POP can dump garbage even if you never open it. With the experience Mike is now having, and noticing that since he is obviously prone to downloading some of that junk to make his messages "cuter" the only answer to cleaning up the unit is a complete re-formatting and practicing more self discipline in the future about such downloads. I once had an e-mail reply from a national architectural magazine employee that had a "free smiley" offer on the bottom of it, clicked on it to see the offer, declined to download the smileys, and then spent three hours scouring the garbage it downloaded to me while looking at their page.
Brady is right on about keeping your bot computer isolated from outside the shop and light on other software. You can network it, but it is also important to restrict network access. My bot computer only has access to those files that I keep bot programs in and everything else is in the office.
Dave

bleeth
03-17-2005, 07:32 AM
About Monitors: The LCD screens do not emit the same type of rays that the cathode tubes in the traditional units do and therefore are superior from the point of view of looking after your eyes. Obviously, replacing one after it gets totalled by the environment in the shop costs more.
PS: Brady-Windows is up and running in the shop and I'm just wondering now if the new upgrade will be available for PRTs-Chris say's the biggest improvement is in the tools.

Dave

mikejohn
03-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Dave
The smileys I use come from commands within the forum \clipart{smile} gets you

I had problems with smileys some time ago, now avoid them like the plague.

this one is simply a : followed by a ).
In fact I try very hard to avoid any downloads I am not sure about, but I understand many images contain unwanted programmes in the background.
Thanks for the other info.
..........Mike

mikejohn
03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Brady
Thanks for the info. in fact I bought the last of the PRT96 that were on special offer end of last year (its the same as the Alpha with PRT96 motors and controller). I'm guessing that windows XP pro will work ok with that.
I intend to have nothing on my Shopbot komputer but windows and the shopbot programme.
........Mike

fleinbach
03-17-2005, 08:31 AM
All the advise above is right on target. I run my shopbot with an 800MZ HP with only Windows XP pro and Shopbot software installed. When I installed Windows I used the custom install and removed all unnessacary items auch as Games, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Media player etc. I only run networking restricted to the folder where I keep my Shopbot cut files.

slendon
03-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I use a TFT monitor for my bot computer and the unexpected up side is that these monitors run free from static, so all the airborne dust that does settle is easy to brush off with a soft brush.

Brady Watson
03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
The monitor isn't really that much of a concern...provided that you keep dust out of it. I bought a cheap cabinet from Lowes that houses everything in it, and greatly reduces the dust fallout on the computer and monitor. No longer running the laptop...or DOS with this (http://home.comcast.net/~bjwat/ShopBotPics/CabinetAnnotated.jpg) setup.

-Brady

dingwall
03-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Donn, were you running Windows or DOS SB SW before the upgrade?

Brady, how do you like that membrane rubbery keyboard?

Brady Watson
03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Sheldon,
The keyboard is great for running the bot...not exactly the best keyboard for typing a letter though. You can pour water, dust or whatever on this thing and then just shake it out/blow it off and it is like new again. It's silicone...so nothing sticks to it..'cept for more silicone.

-Brady

cnc_works
03-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Sheldon, no software changes at all, just the computer. Windows before and after, same version.

OK Brady, you've demonstrated you've been there before, now tell me why, thank you. Twelve seconds to go 60".

Donn

Brady Watson
03-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Donn,
The steppers just cannot go any faster with the power supply in the SB control box. In theroy it is possible to double your cutting and jogging speed by doubling the voltage, and retaining your stock steppers. There is more than meets the eye though...you also need stepper drivers that can handle the higher voltage. It is possible to run the SB control software and other drivers...but many use Gecko stepper drives and Mach2 software instead of ruining an otherwise good control board. (you have to scratch off the traces to the SB drivers...hence ruining it if you ever needed to go back) For about $1000, some ingenuity and research on your behalf, you could do this and run the Bot using G-code. This is appealing to some people...and to others it's best to just upgrade to an Alpha.

Hope that answers your 'why'...

-Brady