PDA

View Full Version : Help for a rookie

daveduff
03-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Hiya all, been reading your threads for awhile now, as I'm trying to learn as much as possible as soon as possible. Here's my situation:
A buddy of mine has a (prt96alpha?), 5'x10', with a columbo 3hp spindle. He lost the lease on his shop and is in a transisiton period till he finds a new one he's happy with. I agreed to let him store the shopbot in my garage, and we are in the process of investigating wiring options. I had a licensed electrition come in to give me a bid on upgrading my homes main breaker box to enable us to bring in power to a new subpanel in the garage. So far not a problem. But suddenly the phase issue came up. His 3hp columbo is 3 phase according to the label on the spindle. I only have single phase power at home. Does this bring the installation to a screeching halt without a 1 phase to 3 phase converter? I read in one thread that the VFD converted single or 3 phase into dc to run the spindle? is this correct?.... Or are the only options getting a converter, or a single phase spindle?..... I hope this is a clear question, any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Any other questions or clarifications just ask and I will supply all the info I can. Thanks again all of you...

fleinbach
03-12-2005, 07:45 PM
If my memory serves me correctly the 3HP spindle if purchased from Shopbot comes with the inverter. At least that's how I purchased mine. I have an Alphaprt with a 3HP Colombo Spindle and it runs on single phase 220v through the inverter it came with. When I was pricing the 3 and 5HP spindles I was told the 3HP price included the inverter while on the 5HP it was a seperate option.

Dumb question, can't you just ask your friend if it was wired to single or 3 phase?

daveduff
03-12-2005, 08:11 PM
It was wired to 3 phase at his previous shop, the only spindle electronics it came to me with was the Delta VFD-B

ron brown
03-12-2005, 11:36 PM
More than likely it can be used as it is. All VFD's I have seen take the incomming current and convert it to DC. It is then sent to the spindle in the frequency desired.

The only problem that arrises is the power is split 3 ways with 3 phase and 2 ways with single phase. Most small (3HP) VFD's have large enough inputs to handle "single phase" while the larger ones must have heavier input stages - sometimes a 7.5HP unit is required to handle a 5HP motor.

The information should be in the owner's manual - of the VFD. Many of the VFD manuals are on line.

Ron

gerald_d
03-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Is it one of these (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/ac_motor/ac_motor_main.asp)?

daveduff
03-13-2005, 03:23 AM
yes, it is the Delta VFD-B

gerald_d
03-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Dave, looking at note 13 at the bottom of this page (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/ac_motor/download/manual/VFD-B/5011025710/03%20wiring.pdf), and further to what Ron said, your particular VFD may be capable of accepting either single phase or three phase input. If your particular model number starts with VFD022B then you appear to be in luck. See also the brochure (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/ac_motor/download/catalogue/B-SERIES(CURVE).pdf).

mikejohn
03-13-2005, 06:08 AM
Is VFD an acronym?
If it is, what does it stand for?
.............Mike

fleinbach
03-13-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm not certain but I believe it stands for Varing Frequency Drive

gerald_d
03-13-2005, 07:35 AM
See the terminology thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/6738.html?1110717117).

fleinbach
03-13-2005, 07:49 AM
That's what I ment. I was inging instead of ableing.

daveduff
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks very much Frank, Ron, and Gerald. It is VFD022B21A, and in looking at the brochure and specs, it does appear to accept either single or 3 phase input. Looks like we are good to go. Don't be surprised if you all hear from me in the future. I'm sure I'll have many questions as soon I get powered up and running. If I can't find an answer searching the forums, I'll be taking advantage of your knowledge. Thanks again.