PDA

View Full Version : Z axis motor not so good (PRT 96)

robtown
06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
So my z axis started loosing zero today. I started poking around and found that when I use the page up and page down keys to move z it moves for a second then stops but continues making a grinding type sound. It's not a good grinding type sound. It's not my pinion gear or track, it emits from the motor. Is there some sort of gearing inside that black housing?

Brady Watson
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Rob,
Yes there are gears in there...but it is most likely the stepper motor stalling as a result of one of your drivers conking out. That sound is the stepper losing magnetic lock. Not gears grinding. I'd try swapping out the Z axis wire into the control box and plugging it into the Acc driver. Set it up in the control software (checking unit values etc) and see if that corrects the problem. If so, you need to replace the Z driver...If you are going to be removing the control board anyway, it might be a good time to just upgrade to a 4G. It's worth it!

-B

robtown
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
BINGO! Thanks so much Brady. Your sage wisdom once again saves a Botter from engaging in the chase of wild geese and keeps the project moving along...

I switched a plug on the back of my control box and with about 6 clicks of the mouse all is well for now.