PDA

View Full Version : Old bot new botter

sevendale
07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey again, I got this old bot to run pretty well in spite of her advanced age, but I'm tired of running between computers so I tried to hook the control box to my newer cpu running xp and using ShopBots' version 3.4.27.
On port one I got: already open
On port three I got: port active, box not responding. no returned value timer over run
Anyone have a clue?
Thanks!

srwtlc
07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Did you load the control box firmware first. When upgrading to a newer version, it's always a good idea to load the control box firmware. In the software, type in UI for (U)tilities (I)nstall firmware. Follow the prompts. Make sure you have the right unit values for your machine too.

How old is this machine?

jerry_stanek
07-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Did your old computer run the DOS version of the software?

sevendale
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks! Jerry, yes this machine is running now, adequately, on the version 2.38 in dos mode on a windows 98 machine.. Scott, the machine is so old...I bought it from Wally in Texas who got it from a fellow named Kenny, I think, who apparently built it by hand; the guide wheels are from a sliding patio door track and the ratchet strip is held on with dollops of epoxy. The control box is an old cpu box and the power supply/converter is about thirty pounds of black steel "Astron LS25A". Since it's my first, I have no comparisons.
Still, it works. I'll try the UI command and come back atcha. I appreciate the input.

srwtlc
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Whoa! Ok, then you'll have to stay with the Dos version of 2.38. That control box won't run the windows version.

rcnewcomb
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
You could create a new series about your adventures with this machine and call it:
"This Old 'Bot'"
<wink>

jamesgilliam
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Rob, I know the machine you have. Kenny Kennedy in Hillsboro Texas was the first owner of it and it is an older PR model. Kenny was the person that Jo-Anne and I went to in order to see one before we bought almost 8 years ago.

Scott is right about having to stay with the DOS software, and I hate to admit this, I am still running my machine on it, and have never had a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. LOL If anything happens to your control computer ShopBot does still have the older control software, I think 2.39 is the last issue, and I have it on disk also.

James

sevendale
07-23-2008, 01:14 PM
wow dude kinda freaky........the guy on the forum knows my machine! Yeah that's the one and I'm fine with running it the old way, I'll just have to transfer discs to get my cad over there. For now: until it makes money. So far lots of dust, scrap and the shattered remnants of grandiose schemes. 'coupla good birdhouses though, and a sign with numerals for my mailbox. So lets quit this thread here and I'll start a new one under Randalls' suggestion "this ol bot"!
Thanks!

ljdm
07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree - we need an "older machine" section. There are some problems/questions/etc that apply more to older machines than the newer ones.

jerry_stanek
07-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a similar unit. You can add a usb card to the computer and use a thumb drive to transfer your files. Or you could always upgrade with the 4g control box and drivers. I did this about a month ago and now my bot runs on XP and will cut at 3.5 ips and jog at 7 ips with no problems. My cuts seem to be a lot cleaner also. Well worth the upgrade.

ljdm
07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Hope to be able to do the 4G upgrade, had to settle for the V3 for now. Max jog is only 6 ips with v3, but still cut at 2.5 - 3 ips. Newer machines are too quiet - don't have the squeaks, creaks, etc of the PR/PRT unistrut system.

wendell
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Jerry,

Where did you find the pricing for your upgrade? Is it on the web site? Did you buy a board or a new box? I have a 7 year old PRT and thinking about an upgrade.

jerry_stanek
07-24-2008, 06:14 AM
It is on the Shopbot page. Go to the PRS standard and you will see a link for upgrade. or just use the search.

sevendale
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
One last thing, Lou, I'm glad to know other bots sound like an old subway train, I thought it was just mine. Jerry, I'll deal with minor frustration until, as I say, it makes some kind of profit. James, I looked at your website and was heartily impressed: good works from a good heart make a good living. That's my goal.