PDA

View Full Version : Output switch connections not working

Chris Brandt
06-20-2002, 12:42 PM
I am hving trouble figuring out why the output connections are not switching. The SB manual shows a diagram of a 16 pin header for output connections, however the control box has a different style with screw terminals. Probing with a voltmeter shows no change to the output connector for any of the swiches when I use the SO command to turn switches on. Display screen lights up switch indicators as I turn them on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Chris Brandt

frank
06-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi Chris,

Our current control box has blue terminal blocks for the inputs and outputs that can be removed by pulling up on them. This makes it easier to install wires into the screw terminals. When you give the SO command and the output changes on the screen then the output from your contol box should pull low and it can then be used to activate a relay switch or other electronics. Have you actually hooked the outputs up to another device and the device is not being controlled? If this is the case give me a call and we can determine if there is something wrong with the hookup or the outputs themselves.

Chris Brandt
06-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Frank,

Thanks for your prompt response. I have built the simple transistor driver as shown in the SB manual, and was hoping to use the relay to automate air clamps to hold material, however the relay is not tripping. I am not an electronics expert, so it may help if you could explain how this circuit is supposed to work so that I can have a better idea how to troubleshoot.
One specific question I have is about the output signal itself. Is there supposed to be 5V DC at the terminal, or does it switch to ground?

Thanks,
Chris

frank
06-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Chris,

There should be 5V at the output and it will pull low when the output is active. One thing to check is the ribbion cable that comes from the Blue Earth board to the control board. Sometimes this cable gets connected to the wrong pins. It should be connected to the pins by the outputs and also make sure that the cable connector is not moved to the right or left by one pin or shifted forward or back by one row of pins. This can happen and you have to look closely to see it. I can fax you a diagram of the ribbon cable on the board if it would help.

flyboy
08-04-2002, 02:58 AM
My output switches are not all working either. They are reversed as well. When I turn on #1, #3 from the conection lights up. And #2 doesn't work at all. ??? I have a small LED's hooked up to each one for testing. What should I look for, or has this happened to other people? I think they get this from a vendor right? It's out of warranty and I can imagine that the driver board will cost me a shiney one. I should just call support, I will Monday but if anybody has any ideas untill then ......

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools
08-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi Tom,

I don't have access to our database today, so I can't look up what version of the tool that you have. But first, rest assurred that whether in or out of warranty, we'll get your outputs sorted out and the controller board replaced if needed.

There have been a few variations in the layout of the connectors. Some early PRTs are a bit different than what we standardized on ... or if you have an older PR ShopBot, the pins can be a bit confusing to work out.

For the moment, if a PRT, make sure you are using version 2.25 or later of the software. Have you checked each with a voltmeter after activating them one at a time? If an early PRT, we probably need to look up on Monday the output connection on your board.

flyboy
08-05-2002, 05:00 AM
Thanks, the support has always been top notch at shopbot. I think that mine was one of the earliest PRT's out. I'll call during busines hours and get it all sorted out.

I recieved my prober last week. I'm having so much fun! If I can just keep my mouth shut at work about it, people are starting to roll thier eyes a me when I get on a kick about my Shopbot. Whoops, I couldn't help it. Everybody should have one!

gerald_d
11-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Looking for the info on the suggested transistors (and rest of circuit) to use with SB outputs to power a small relay. Which document should I look in?

paul
11-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi Gerald

The Transistor is a IRF510 Power Mosfet, I think the one on page 120 of the Shopbot user guide is a typo error. The circuit diagram is also there

Regards

Paul

coastal
11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
I am having problems with v3 software output #4. The router is connected to switch 4. I use shopbot.opt to disable output #4 (This way I will to cut into my zero plate). Then in my part files I turn on the switches.
(beginning of part file)
so,3,1 'turn blower on
'press any key to start
PAUSE
so,2,1 'turn dust collector on
PAUSE 3
so,4,1 'turn router on
so,4,-2 'turn router on
PAUSE 1

(End of part file)
so,4,0
so,4,-4 'turn router off
PAUSE 1
so,3,0 'turn blower off
PAUSE 1
so,2,0 'turn dust off
PAUSE 1

My problem is when I stop the tool switch #4 does not always shut off and when the file finishes the switch does not always reset to -4. There is no apparent reason for this. The only way I have been able to change the function of switch #4 is with in a part file. By typing so,4,-2 the software does not make the change.

Gerald,
If you are using the relay circuit to power a tool with amps larger then 4A. Use the relay circuit to power a relay with a 30amp 120v coil. By doing this the relay circuit will not burn up since the 120v relay coil pulls very low amps.

gerald_d
11-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks Paul, I keep on forgetting that the hardware info is in the User's Guide for the Software.

Ryan, point noted. (we have 230V in this country - much better for smoke generation)