PDA

View Full Version : Layers...Again

robinsoncr@naxs.net
05-29-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Ok, I have a 19mm thick panel. On that panel, I have several parts nested. There's some 10mm deep holes and 10mm deep holes.

I want to layer for effecient work.

Here's what I'm doing, but I think I'm missing something.

1. I shift-left click next to panel outline.
2. Change-Attributes and rename what will be a new layer as "Panel Outline".
3. Click off image to deselect all.
4. Shift-left click next to each 10mm deep hole.
5. Change-Attributes and rename Layer "10mm Holes", pick different color (not red).
6. Click off image to deselect.
7. Shift-Left click next to 10mm deep dadoes.
8. Change-Attributes and rename layer "10mm dadoes", pick yet another non-red color.
9. Click off image to deselect.
10. Shift-Left click next to each part outline.
11. Change-Attributes and name layer "12mm First Pass"
12. Click off image to deselect.
13. Shift-Left click next to each part outline.
14. Change-Attributes and name layer "19.1mm Second Pass"
15. Click off image to deselect.
**Now, if I go back and Edit-Select, the "10mm First Pass" layer is gone, apparently replaced by the "19.1mm Final Pass". This would indicate that I didn't really select the true panel outline, but rather the layer that I had created and named "12mm First Pass"??

What did I do wrong?

Also, how do I indicate that a given layer's depth of cut should be "x"? Do I select a certain layer, then go to Contour Tooling and set the depth? And do that for each layer?

Finally, I Edit-Select--Cntrl-Left Click layers 10mm Holes, 10mm Dadoes, 12mm First Pass and then Change-Reorganize, Draw-Other Curves-Connect at Z,
Then Insert NC code and within the CAM window, Start-Macro, Generate-NC, then I go back and repeat for the Final Pass? Vector generates a new Cam window, can I simply cut and paste the Final Pass layers code onto the bottom of the other code?

Sorry for the long post. I do appreciate any help you 'botters can offer!

Thanks,

Chris R.

gerald_d
05-30-2003, 02:19 AM
Chris, changing the name of the same lines repeatedly gets them confused!

Seriously though, if you want to cut the outline at 2 different depths, you need to make 2 copies of the outline, so that each copy can have its own name.

Can I suggest the following?:
1. Go View > 3D Views > Default so that you can see what is happening in the z-direction as well.
2. Do your step 10. Shift-Left click next to each part outline. Give it whatever name and colour you want to.
3. Without deselecting Go Draw > Other Curves > Offset and enter your tool radius. You will then see your toolpath, already selected (but in zero z-direction)
4. Give the correct cutting depth by going Edit > Cut (the selected path disappears), Edit > Paste and fill in "-12" in the z box. "Enter" and the selected toolpath re-appears at the correct depth.
5. Give whatever name and colour to this toolpath.
6. For the second 19mm pass, use Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste to generate another toolpath that you can give a new name to.
(this is an abbreviated version, but I hope that you get the drift)

If you still have that file I mailed to you some weeks ago, have a look at that in a 3D view - you will see that there are lines under lines, at different z-depths.

Be careful of calling the different depths "layers"! The term "layers" in CAD drafting does not mean different depths.

We very seldom (never?) use different layer names and clours, but it is worthwhile for you to pursue. A reason, for example, is if you decide to skip the dado's, you can just "blank" that layer (or switch it off). If you hadn't used layers, you would have to go and find each dado individually.

I havn't answered your whole post above, because you first need some practise on the above and I have customers waiting . . . .
Talk to you later.