PDA

View Full Version : Possible 3d or do-able in PW?

nodnerb
12-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi. I am trying to modify a part that seems very simple. However, I am still very much new to this. Basically, I have a part that I need to machine a "j" shape into. Only thing is, I'd like the hook part to also smoothly curve in the z direction. Is there a way to do this in PW? I am trying to get up to speed with 3D turbocad but simly can't figure out how to turn that simple j hook out of the z direction as well.

Any help would be great please.

Brady Watson
12-14-2007, 03:01 PM
No. Aside from V-carving simple text, PW will not create any 3D toolpaths. If you were to create a 3D representation of your part, you could then machine it in either MillWizard or Cut3D. If you send me an email with intelligent notes & pics of what you want to accomplish, along with your dimensions & a vector outline & rough cross section, I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

-B

woodworx
11-13-2008, 01:04 AM
I think the partworks demo file called "Woodworking Sign" has a 3D rope border and carving tools. When I first got my machine up and running I ran this file with "Coastal WoodworX" around the 3D stuff using the v carve. For a long time I didn't remember how I made the sign. Then going through my PW demo files and using the Get Carving Quickly, I remembered that I used PW for the sign. The 3D toolpaths were generated from PW. Go figure?