PDA

View Full Version : 3D Sign Making w/Enroute

ccr
06-29-1999, 03:34 PM
I am a relatively new user of the Shopbot CNC, and am making custom furniture pieces designed in CorelDraw and converted to dxf in CASMate Pro. I've been making sucessful parts for the month that I have been working, and my curiosity has me into trouble. I want to be able to make 3D lettering for signs out of wood. I bought Enroute in attempt to make 3D lettering because I thought my Shopbot PR96 could do the job. I've spent many long hours and a bottle of Tylenol and am still having the same problems. When I send a program from CASMate Pro into Enroute directly, I am able to make a 3D picture of exactly what I want on the comnputer. I have been sending over information to the Shopbot software one tool at a time and when I try to route my design, problems occur. It seems that when cutting a 3D segment of the design, the cut is perfect. This is when using a fill with an end mill bit for the flats, and a conic for the edges. When the Shopbot tries to make a simple curve in 2D, it lifts and moves then z's down to another point on the line to be cut, missing the area between pt. A and pt. B. The pattern looks like a dot-to-dot without the lines being drawn. When I check the editor this is just how it is shown. It must be in the conversion from Enroute to Shopbot. I thought that the new 2b10 software would solve the problem, but nothing is changed. Enroute sends information in G-Code I believe. If anyone has any suggestions to try, I would love some input because I'm out of ideas.

bruce_clark
06-29-1999, 07:07 PM
Cory,

While I do not use Enroute or CasMate, I have a
few suggestions. First off, are you exporting the
"program" data (from Enroute) to the ShopBot
program in DXF or G-code (there is a difference).

If you are using the DXF, then I don't know what
to suggest, but if you are using a G-code driver
and using the G-code converter in sb2b10, then I
can help out.

First off, what "Driver" are you using to export
Enroute data to your ShopBot? If you are using
a G-code driver, is should be FANUC compatable. If
in doubt, I believe their is a FANUC driver. Try
that.

If you are still having problems, can you send me
some sample files that are causing this problem?
I can take a look and give you my best guess as to
what is happening.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centryinter.net (mailto:bwclark@centryinter.net)

arthur_ross
06-30-1999, 02:21 PM
I use EnRoute quite a bit (and love it), mostly for the 3D lettering. One thing you can do is check your G-Code output with a program called 3D viewer from actify, they have a trial version on their web site ( http:/www.actify.com ). I'm using the Signs On Tap post-processor ( ontap.cnf ), which produces very generic G-Code. Could the post-processor you're using be generating commands that cannot be converted?

Arthur Ross
Deltamation Inc ( http:/www.signsontap.com )

gordon@shopbottools.com
07-06-1999, 11:31 AM
Corey,

The new DXF converter has an gap check in it for lines that are slightly disconnected, ie. 0.001" apart. This has been a problem in Casmate DXF files for more than one customer. I have been able to see them in several CAD programs after a lot of zooming in. Most of the time the are gaps less than 0.00001", but they're just enough to trigger a pullup in the converter. My first suggestion is to try the newest converter in the ShopBot Workshop SB2B10. It can be downloaded from our download site. Included in this download is the g-code converter, you should also try using a Fanuc driver and the converter.

ccr
07-07-1999, 10:58 AM
Gordon~

I'm not clear on how to change my driver. I'm currently using a .dxf driver and would like to try Fanuc or g-code.

Cory Ryan
Artisan Goods

Paul
05-16-2001, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have any experience of DXF files containing Text and ellipse’s and exporting them to Enroute, as I have encountered a few problems.

The text either disappears or flips to a mirror image and the ellipse’s disappear completely, circles are fine

Help please

Paul

olivier
05-17-2001, 09:54 AM
Hello Paul,

I am not using Enroute, but I remember once I tried a demo and I notice that is will only take dxf geometry if they were lying on the xy plane. It will send the one in the third dimension in weird places.
Also I know that often when translating trough DXF format from one CAD Software to an other, things can be switched from the xy plane to the xz or yz.
Linking the two experience, your problem could be linked to the dxf format your are using.
Maybe your could try to open it in your usual CAD program that produce clean file with enroute , or open in in Vector (which accepts dxf in z with no problem) to see what is going on.

Or alternatively, you could send me the file for trial.

Hope this help.

Olivier