PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted mirroring on import

hespj
08-24-2006, 07:49 AM
After a frustrating hour or two trying to import a drawing into Partwizard I need help. Can anybody tell me why this drawing in AutoCad:

becomes this in PartWizard?

I've had this problem before and somehow got round it, but this time I'm stuck.

John

mikejohn
08-24-2006, 08:45 AM
John
Try this this copy the original drawing and move it a long way right.
erase the original.
Move the copy back to its original position.
This has worked for me for other problems

............Mike

hespj
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks Mike, but doesn't work. I'll try some other changes to the drawing and see if they work.

John

scottcox
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
John,

I've found that PW2 does that to the vectors that I've mirror copied in TurboCad. I can go back to the DXF and explode then re-join the polylines and it then imports into PW2 correctly.

Good luck.

hespj
08-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks Scott. Again, no joy.

I should add that the original drawing was done in Rhino. I export the drawing as either a dwg or a dxf and check it in Acad before importing into PartWizard (once in PartWizard I feel I'm in the hands of the Gods. Or more likely, the hands of the Devils).

hespj
08-24-2006, 10:29 AM
How stupid of me!!! Suddenly remembered that RhinoCam does this sort of thing. Most of my ShopBot work is 3D and I do all this with RhinoCam, so don't really think of it as a 2D software. 15 minutes later..........

mikejohn
08-25-2006, 12:43 AM
John
It is very true that files imported into AutoCad, then re-saved from AutoCad, often don't behave the same as similar files created in AutoCad.

..............Mike

gerald_d
08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
When we have save a suspect drawing open in AutoCad, we do the following:

-select everything on the problem sheet with the cursor
-copy to clipboard
-open a new sheet in AutoCad
-draw a 0,0 point on the new sheet
-paste clipboard to new sheet
-reposition relative to the 0,0 on the new sheet (we have problems in moving the AutoCad "origin" to the parts - we prefer moving the parts to the origin)
-close the problem drawing
-save new sheet to the "problem" file name

This procedure makes for a leaner, true, AutoCad file.

mikejohn
08-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Note that in AutoCad 'copy to clipboard' (Control C) is different to the 'Copy' command.

Lots of problems with files imported into AutoCad are 'ghost' lines causng the problems.

..........Mike

Mike Windsor
08-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I've had that problem , it is usually because the entities arent on a Z zero plane by .0001 , or something realy small that you cant see . When I use Rhino I always " project to C plane " before exporting any vectors .

hespj
08-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks everybody for the help and info. (Been to busy with the parts to visit the forum since. Had to stack them up to make a 3D block prior to machining.)

Gerald, I'll try that.

Mike W, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've noticed that Rhino does sometimes show lines slightly (3 x 10^-13 or similar) off zero. "Project to Const plane" it is from now on. I wonder if Gerald's method actually achieves the same thing in Acad.