PDA

View Full Version : What software to buy?

conceptmachine
12-13-2006, 06:36 AM
I have recently purchased a used prt 96 that came with vector cam ver 8.The software seems ok but there has to be something out there that ia a little more user friendly,what would you guys recomend that i get?I have autocad and solidworks for drawing,i will be doing sign work as well as general routing with 3-d to follow as i get more comfortable with the shopbot.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
shawn

zeykr
12-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Shawn, things have gotten much more user friendly than what vector was. For 2 - 2 1/2 D look at either partwizard or vcarve wizard. I like the editing capabilities in the delcam products such as partwizard better, but like the tool pathing and preview in vcarve better. If I had to choose just one, I'd personally probably go with vcarve pro.

When it comes to 3d, the first question is are you just going to cut 3d files that you get from someplace like vectorart3d.com or are you going to edit/create them yourself? I think Artcam pro is very good for creating/editing artistic 3d designs as well as 2d design and cutting. Rhino + a cam package is also popular, and in my opinion probaby better suited than artcam to prototype or non artistic 3d modeling (but many do very nice artistic work with it). If you're not going to create/edit files, then look at the new cut-3d from vectric, millwizard, or the free package that works with vcarve-pro from vectorart3d.

There are of course many other choices, but think these are the most common. Everyone has an opinion on what software they like best, based on their needs or what they have gotten used to, so sure you'll hear some other good thoughts from others also.

If you can, go to a shopbot camp, or visit another local shop. Both are very good ways of getting exposed to how others are doing things.

hines
12-13-2006, 09:51 AM
No doubt, V-Carve Pro was the best purchase I made for my bot. It allowed me to create beautiful signs immediately. Plus it costs far less than the others, only $500. It's a great program to start with. You may want to check out Cut3d also since that is an inexpensive, yet powerful, 3d program made by the same company. I'll quit talking now, I sound like a damn commercial.

conceptmachine
12-15-2006, 08:23 PM
ok guy's you talked me into it,im buying v-carve pro

shawn