PDA

View Full Version : When to use arc .sbp output?

blackhawk
07-08-2008, 09:24 AM
I use all the Vectric software with a PRT Alpha machine. I notice that Vectric has an option to create an "Alpha inch" output or an "arc" output when you generate the .sbp file. I always use "Alpha inch" and all the tutorials say to not use "arc" output. So, when would you want to use the "arc" output? What does it do differently in the .sbp file?

srwtlc
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Brad,

You can use the "Arc" post all the time. If your file/drawing has any arcs in it, the arc post will generate a CG command for the arcs instead of many M3 commands, thus making for less code, smaller files and smoother cutting arcs. If you have no arcs in your file, the arc post will just generate the same file as the "Inch" one.

I use the "Arc" post all the time.

blackhawk
07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Scott - Thanks for the reply. Just wondering why they would even have the "inch" option if the "arc" does everything that the "inch" can plus more. Makes things more confusing.

john_l
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Maybe older bots could not read an "arc" type file... ie. M commands only? Just a thought.

bill.young
07-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi Brad,

The "inch" version is much easier to work with if you are going to manipulate the file after it's generated with a program or a spreadsheet, like flip it on edge to turn it into an indexer file. It's also much harder...for me at least...to read files and understand what going on if it has CG commands...the g-code way of describing circles is pretty cryptic.

Of course if you're a normal person and just generate your part file and then cut it without messing with it, none of this makes any difference. But what's the fun in that!

Bill

beacon14
07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Since when do they allow "normal" people to own ShopBots?

wberminio
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Just DON'T use (arch)(inch)w/Speed if you don't don't have the speed control!

Erminio