PDA

View Full Version : Setting mutiple Z locations....

srwtlc
07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
....and calling them up in a file.

I'm trying to save 24 Z locations prior to running a file and then have the file adjust the z axis accordingly at each position.

I could use some help getting the programming process (idea) rolling. Any suggestions? There's probably several ways, writing each position to a file and then calling up that positoin and so on or using VO somehow.

Just looking for some suggestions to get the ball rolling in my tired head. ;^)

Scott

Gary Campbell
07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Scott...
Is the relationship between the position (X,Y) and the Z height random, relative or simply 1 per different spot?

Gary

srwtlc
07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Gary, what I have is (at the moment) one large file that v-carves 24 plaques over a 49 x 97 area. Due to slight variation in material thickness and some humidity changes, various locations (per plaque) will carve too deep or not deep enough compared to the initial zeroed location. What I'd like to do is to run a file that will zero the Z axis at a certain spot for each plaque and then use that Z setting for each plaque as the main file runs. In other words, I'd like to be able to call up and set the Z axis to the predetermined value for each plaque location. Does that make any sense? ;^)

Instead of the large 24 plaque file, I could just as well make a master that moves to each new location and call up the same single file. I would just need to adjust the Z to the predetermined values.

Scott

gabepari
07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Quick solution would be to have the file pause before each plaque and C2 at each new location. It would require you to monitor the bot, but we all do that any ways, right??

cncworld
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Hi... my advice would be to keep it simple, if your plaques have a contour shape, I would first cut all the shapes out of the 4' x 8' material, then v-carve them out one at a time or set up two area's so you can go back and forth. While one is being cut your set up the next one, in a back and forth procedure.

Why you ask? Mainly because large files can sometimes cause problems, and as you know the "Z" depth is very critical in v-carving. In the long run, you will produce a better product, with better control of the final outcome.

Russ

srwtlc
07-16-2009, 09:09 AM
All good suggestions, but I have 1000+ of these to do and it takes 12 hours for one sheet worth (24 plaques)! It needs to go unattended as much as possible.

3imoh
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Scott-

I had a similar situation v-carving a detail on some corbels that varied slightly in height. I just setup a file before my cutting file that ran a modified zzero routine on each cutting location, saving the height from my table as a variable. I then used the 3d offset feature to cut each one at the specific z variable.

I had to follow the bot around with the zzero plate to do the initial setup on each run, but it worked great. If your material is varying a bunch within each plaque, then you could sample a few points where you will be cutting each plaque and average them to get a z height. That may be more than is needed though...

ken_rychlik
07-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Can you surface the material before you run the plaques? It would save a lot of time if you could.

srwtlc
07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
That's kind of the idea Howie.

Can't surface it...Cherry veneer MDF.

Gary Campbell
07-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Scott...
I can think of 3 ways to do this, assuming you know the offset required at each location.

1)
Build a master file that includes:
Jog to file "&number" location
Set offsets for "&number"
run carve file for this location
add 1 to &number
repeat as needed

2)
Edit your existing file manually to add after each jog to command:
enter the Z offset for this location using the VO command
continue

3)
Since I am a bit whacked... make it automatic
set up a probe next to your bit
determine relationship between probe and bit
plunge probe..... read position
adjust Z
Cut plaque

If any of these seem to you like they will work, let me know if I can do anything else.
Gary

frank134
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM
way to go gary! McGuiver would be proud of you.

srwtlc
07-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks Gary,

1 and 2 are what I was thinking about, just need to write to and get the positions from the set up file.

Option 3 would be nice, but would require some further automation for the probe.

Scott