PDA

View Full Version : Software Discussion for a Newbie

ed_lysne
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
New user here with an Alpha Benchtop... I've started working on understanding the software (PW) and I'm perplexed about what this is... Is this the software I really want to learn/use... Are there shared files out there to look at how PW users have solved problems? Is this software just meant to be a teaser to get you to purchase the "real" Artcam software?

I want to do prototypes in different materials and some arched forms. I realize there are limits... I'm just wondering if I should invest a lot of time in Part Wizard or move right into something with more flexibility. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

harryball
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
I learned PW with no trouble and think it is a worthwhile exercise. It gets you familiar with the lingo and the concepts without drowning you in thousands of options.

Since moving up in ArtCam is a big dollar jump... today I decided to purchase VCarve Pro and PhotoVcarve.

From all I can tell VCarve Pro does everything PW does and more. 100% of what you learn in PW is still valid and being able to vcarve anything is well worth the money. I love the way it gives a time estimate for the job (how accurate that is I can't attest to yet) but the real deal and why I made the jump today... is the finished preview.

Robert

patricktoomey
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I second Robert's recommendation of VCarve Pro. Having both VCarve Pro and ArtCam Pro, I can tell you that I use VCave Pro most of the time. Of course I do my 3D carvings and reliefs in ArtCam but any simpler work like v carving and texturing I do in VCarve Pro, it's very fast, very clean and it just works. Getting used to Parts Wizard will give you a headstart to ArtCam if you need the power and can justify the cost.

ed_lysne
10-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I'll keep hacking away at it. The more I work thru it... the more possibilities I see. I just don't want to get to the end and have to start all over. I don't thing Vcarve is what I'm after. I looking to create shapes for now... but maybe I'll spin in that direction eventually.

bob_reda
10-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Basically, the PW is the simplified 2d version of artcam pro.Made by the same company. If you understand all the graphic stuff than you can go and read the 800 page manual that comes with artcam pro. So by learning PW you are beginning to learn artcam. Artcam has a very steep learning curve and will take approx 1year to grasp working on it all the time.

evan
10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Ed,
When you say “I want to do prototypes in different materials and some arched forms” are you talking 3D or 2D? PW is 2D only. ArtCAMPro is a full featured 3D CAD/CAM program. There are many CAD only programs and many CAM only Programs and a few full CAD/CAM packages out there. All of these programs have steep learning curves, especially if you’ve never used a CAD or CAM program. PW is a great introduction into CAD and CAM, fairly easy to learn and will do most of what you want in 2D. The concepts you learn in PW, (both drawing and machining) are transferable to all other CAD and CAM programs (important to note I said “concepts” not necessarily methods or symbols, some programs are more intuitive than others). Not only that but it comes with your ShopBot. In my opinion learning PW won’t be a waste of time unless you are already familiar with and using a more powerful CAD/CAM package.

harryball
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Keep PW running, I just learned there are no measuring tools in VCPro. This takes an otherwise great program off my top notch list. Without the ability to measure parts and/or spaces it's pretty much layout software for carving (I understand that's how it's billed). I can't recommend it for creating anything that requires specific dimensions.

I don't know if I'd have still purchased if I'd known/noticed this clearly before hand. I wanted to make sure no one else missed the fact.

Still a very good program and if you need to vcarve and already have something else to create your parts in it's a good solution. Just don't buy it thinking you can create a polygon with specific side lengths. A shame though, it does so much so well.

Oh, and you can't import shapes you create in PW into VCPro either. I don't know how I'm going to do this job now. I need the scroll work to sort of follow the panel's edge to break from the fact the sides are not absolutely straight or square.

I'll think of something, always do.

Robert

scott_smith
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Robert,
My projects generally start in AutoCAD and then go to VCPro via dxf. Can I help with the shape you need to get into VCPro?

paul_z
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Ed,

I use a CAD program for dimensioned stuff and usually, but not always, use V Carve to create the cut files. The very nice preview capability of V Carve has prevented me from making costly mistakes. The interactive placement of tabs is also quite handy.

Paul Z

PS I think the time I spent learning part wizard was time very well spent. It is much more capable than it appears to be at first glance.

harryball
10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Scott, thanks for the offer, I got it worked out. I'm creating the part in PW then creating a .jpg with a screen copy, trace that with inkscape then import the dxf into VCPro. I think I saw my elbow on the way to my thumb, but it's done.

The ability to preview is a driving factor as well. Not sure which scroll she wants so I can run several in preview until I get what she wants.

Robert

paco
10-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Even though a measuring tool would be nice, my opinion is that I would prefer VETRIC team to keep on developing such unique CAM strategies as texture and raised bevel/prismatic... this way, I can choose the CAD program of my choice; mechanic oriented, signs and graphics and such... not that having a few drawing tool isn't handy.
I have a 3000.00$usd worth software here that CAN'T do some of what VETRIC products does within the 1000.00$usd range...!!

ed_lysne
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
What about Rhino? Whats the skinny on this program?

phil_o
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Since you are a Newbie I'm assuming you have a new Shopbot. Shopbot now includes A PW tutorial that Brady created. It's a great tool for getting up to speed quickly for drawing the CAD image and preparing a shopbot cutting file. It should also give you a fair amount of exposure to the capabilities of PW. This should help you decide if PW is capable of handling the type of work you plan to do. If PW isn't adequate take a look at VCarve. They offer a free trial version and videos on using VCarve.
I have PW, VCarve and Corel Draw. I use VCarve for most of what I do because it's easy to use and displays a very good preview of the final product, the preview alone puts it way ahead of PW.
I use Corel Draw when I need a more capable CAD program.

ed_lysne
10-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I bought the unit off of Ebay... from a guy who never put it together... I didn't get the video and he claims he never got it... I'm going to call the SB folks and see if I can chat them out of it. So far it looks fairly easy... although it would be nice to get through all the tricks and techniques quickly with a video.

normand
10-07-2006, 09:49 AM
ED Rhino does 3d and 2d design but wont do your tool path,for that you need a cam software. Part wizzard is a 2 1/2 d cad cam software it will not do 3d. Even if you upgrade to they insignia it will not do 3d. For that you need to go full artcam pro.Even then I read some people use rhino even if they have artcam pro? It is your choice but I think partwiz is oneway software be sure it is the way you want to go because it is hard to get out. expensive and no one can tell you howmuch to get out. Also there is a fee for some reason that I forgot,that is I think 1200$ a year.Check it out first I been know to make mistakes.

normand
10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.blender3d.com/cms/Home.2.0.html Is a free 3d software. and look for freemill for free3d cam

jbuell
10-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Is there software besides ArtCamPro that can generate the cut file from a file created in Rhino?

Brady Watson
10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Yep...

MillWizard
VisualMill/RhinoCAM
FreeMill
DeskProto
OneCNC
MasterCAM
GibbsCAM
BobCAD
Vectric 3DMachinist