PDA

View Full Version : G-code conversion

jwelin
10-20-2004, 04:37 AM
I am trying to convert a G code file created in OneCNC. The Shopbot 3 conversion utility fails with the messsage, "undefined variable, line one" From reading the Shopbot help file I expected unsupported G codes to be commented out. The first three lines on the g code file have several unsupported codes:

G00 G40 G49 G80
G00 G90 G54
M05 G40 G49 G80

Can I safely delete all these lines? What is the minumum header info that is needed by Shopbot's conversion?

BTW: OneCNC claims to have a Shopbot post processor, but they have been unable to provide one after several requests. Otherwise, this is an impressive program for 3D CAM.

Brady Watson
10-20-2004, 08:18 PM
John,
You don't need any header in your SBP. I know some programs that only export a .cnc or .nc file that needs to be run through the convertor. After conversion, it leaves G-codes for turning on coolant etc. You can delete all of this. Generally, I delete up to the J2 command (rapid move to 1st cutting location) and enter my own MS command in the control software.

-Brady

waltie
10-23-2004, 06:46 PM
is there anyway to convert a .DNC file to .SBP file ? any help would be appreciated

jwelin
12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Thank Brady.
I have tried to have my post processor add Shopbot commands using the > as a pass through character. Unfortunately the converter in SHopbot 3 does not add a line return, resulting in tomething like this:

MS, 4, 4JZ, 2.25

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Brady Watson
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
John,
The easiest way (aside from writing a small program in VB) is to copy a carriage return character and paste it in where you want the line break to be. In VB this is a chr(13), but you can just as easily open a new instance of notepad, press the enter key...and then hold down <ctrl> + <home> + <shift> to select the return character...which will not be highlighted when selected...an then press <ctrl> + <C> to copy it.

To verify the copy, just press <ctrl> + <V> to paste it while in notepad. It should do a carriage return every time you paste it. While the character is still on the clipboard, paste it into the spot where you want a return using it as or in conjunction with your pass-through character.

This may take some playing...but I think it will work for you.

-Brady

bruce_clark (Unregistered Guest)
12-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Mr. Welin,

I will take a look and see why the pass though character ">" is not including a carriage return.

Please send me your email address, so that I can send you an fixed version. My email address is:
bwclark (at) centurytel (dot) net

Sorry for the funky email address, but I do not want any extra junk email.

Bruce Clark