PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

mikek
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
I am importing an AutoCAD file with text into Part Wizard and the text doesn't import. I haven't found any explanation in the manual yet on how to do this or why it doesn't work yet. I know I can add text with Part Wizard, but it is difficult to size and place compared to the ease in AutoCAD. Thanks for your help.

phil_o
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Are you saving your AutocCad drawings in the DXF file format? Part Wizard imports several file formats. I usually use DXF without problems.

mikek
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes Phil, I have tried to import .dxf and .dwg, both with same results.

wooddr
08-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Mike,

Did you go to the patches and update page and download the patch (http://www.shopbottools.com/drivers.htm) for Part Wizard and importing text fix? I think if you try that it should fix your problem.

Dirk

mikek
08-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks Dirk, I'll try that.

mikek
08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Downloaded that and it does bring in text, but it strips the font style and position. It loses a line feed. I have two rows of characters, and it strings it out in one row. I would like to Vcarve the text and it is treating it like a vector now. Any more suggestions? Thanks again.

beacon14
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Create the text in PartWizard. PW only V-carves the ten fonts that are highlighted when you choose a font in the Text function anyway, so trying to bring in another font from another program does you no good.

mikek
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
But I was trying to bring in "Times New Roman" which is one of the chosen 10, and it strips the font style. I cannot figure out how to edit it with Part Wizard. I guess creating it with Part Wizard is my only choice. The creation and accurate placement and sizing with Part Wizard seems cumbersome compared to CAD creation too.

jsfrost
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
PW does not know you are bringing in text, it only sees a vector.

Creating and sizing accurate text will be different in PW, compared to something you already know, but once you get a feel, it is not difficult. I will typically generate and arrange the text in any size, then group center and resize to fit the application. Once text is on the page in PW, it stretches horizontally and vertically and resizes like any vector. PW remembers the font, unless you "excessively" edit points in the individual letters. Sometimes one or two points is "excessive", so forget editing points.

mikek
08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Jim. I learned how to do it fairly quickly and get pretty good placement. This is the game I was trying to program. I haven't done it yet, but will try it this weekend.

mikek
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
I should have added, Thanks Jim, David, Dirk, and Phil. I appreciate the education.