PDA

View Full Version : Quick question(I think)

kivimagi
04-21-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm messing around with Corel draw. I'm a novice when it comes to computer drawing programs.

I'm trying to create a file that I can import into partwizard, and take a look at the toolpath generated.

For example:
1.) I used the text tool in Corel and typed in my last name.
2.) I saved as a .dxf
3.) I imported into partwizard
4.) I generated a tool path

This clearly didn't work as I received large circular tool paths that didn't seem to do much of anything. I imagine I'm missing some step in my processing of the Corel file, but I have no clue where to begin.

If your interested in helping a 'stiff' I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

kaaboom_99
04-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Possible the step you missed was in between (1) and (2). Once you have created your text, THEN convert text to curves <press CTRL Q> after you highlight/select text.
Hope this helps.

kerrazy
04-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Also save the file as a later version of autocad dxf, V12 or later. and ensure your tolerance in parts wizard is set to .0001 with a regular tolerance it will not keep in mind your curve it will only machine from point to point. Example if you draw a circle it is comprised of 4 points which have been curved. you will have a point in the north, south aest and west of the circle. If the tolerance in the tool path is is set to high it will ignore the curve of the points and in fact cut a diamond shape cutting from point to point rather than the round shape.
Dale

artisan
04-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Perry has it I think....under the "Arrange" drop down menu is the "Convert to Curves" command or (Ctrl + Q). This will make your font readable in DXF form and you can then export it to PW or whatever machining software you like. You can also use the Bots DXF converter....D