PDA

View Full Version : Part Wizard vs CorelDraw

etepcf
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Recently acquired a PR96 with Windows 95 and version 2.38 Shopbot Workship software. I plan to use the machine for wood signs and other small woodworking projects. Should I purchase Part Wizard or CorelDraw? I am very new to this, so I appreciate any feedback to help me make my decision.

Brady Watson
09-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Peter,
Corel is a very powerful program with a softer learning curve than let's say, Adobe Illustrator. While it will allow you to create many designs with macros and available plugins, it doesn't contain any CAM/toolpathing operations.

I would lean more towards PartWizard because you can both design any 2D shape and toolpath it in the same interface. Additionally you have software that was made for your Shopbot CNC, a whole community here to help you when you get stuck and even training videos on the subject.

Hope that helps!
-Brady

danhamm
09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Peter you can convert a file made in corel to a dxf and the shopbot software has a dxf to sbp converter..it works well..I have made a lot of signs over the years using this method..mostly for real estate and regional signs..but recently another bit of software has come on the scene its called vcarve wizard, you should take a look at it..cheers...Dan

burchbot
09-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi
You can get demo versions of both programs (Part Wizard and Vcarve Wizard) that will let you do everything but save file’s. ShopBot website has Part Wizard demo and Vectric has Vcarve wizard. The demo’s are free and you will learn what the programs have to offer before you buy.
Dan

srwtlc
09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Peter,

Welcome. I know the machine/computer that you purchased, as I helped the young man that you bought it from get aquainted with it earlier this year.

I would echo the comments of the others here in that CorelDraw would be good for designing and Parts Wizard for toolpathing/design. While you can convert a .dxf to a .sbp file with the .dxf converter, you may find it to be a bit daunting as a beginner. I would also recommend taking a look at the demo of Vcarve Wizard. I have been checking out the beta of the next version and it with the new additions, it will handle most any sign making task desired with ease at a very atractive price.

While the computer that came with the machine will run the machine fine, it will however not handle any of these programs well if at all. If you have another computer that you can do your design/toolpathing on, then you can take the files to the machine.

I am about an hour or less away from you. If you would like to talk or stop in sometime, feel free to drop me a line or give me a call.

Scott

etepcf
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks Scott, I need to change some cables before I do to much, I have another computer to work with, When I get a little farther ahead I will give you a call. Thanks for the help

tim_whitcher
10-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Not to hijack this post, but does Vcarve save files in .sbp format?

srwtlc
10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes, Vcarve Wizard will output/save .sbp files for cutting (by choosing the shopbot post processor when saving the toolpaths) and the project files are saved as .crv.

paco
10-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Guys, don't get confused from Vcarvz (http://www.vectorcam.com/) and VCarve Wizard (http://www.vectric.com/index.php?vcarve)... which are definitly not the same product!

tim_whitcher
10-02-2005, 11:16 AM
thanks, scott. i downloaded the demo.