PDA

View Full Version : Spheres

gel3
04-29-2001, 07:43 PM
i tried making a half of a sphere. but i am having trouble drawing it up on vector cad. it keeps turning out to look like a cone. i was wondering if anyone knows where each line should be placed or the pattern of the depth, and radius of the line is.? thanks
George

imserv@imsrv.com
05-02-2001, 12:23 AM
There are about 6-7 ways to create a toolpath to cut a hemispherical shape in Vector. The easiest is to draw a 178 degree arc flat, from 1-179, copy and paste with multiple copies, and simultaneously rotate about the X axis by 180 degrees. Reverse every second, and Draw line connect. This creates a 3D hemispherical tool path that can be shift selected. Offset the original arc before copy pasting to create a compensated tool path. I call this the orange section method, as it looks like the sections in a peeled orange.

Other techniques to use are , skin function, Snap/copy along a spline created from an arc, X-Z swept curve pocket in version 9, Copy rotate a 90 or 180 degree arc about the Z axis, wrap cylinder from a Y projection of an arc, etc.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith