PDA

View Full Version : 3 d software

gene
02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Can anyone recomend a beginner ? affordable software that will allow me to do some carving type things on the bot. I would like to be able to do slices so i can build bigger models of things. Will corell draw v- 12 do this stuff?
Thanks Gene

stevem
02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Rhino. The best bang for the buck in 3D software. If you qualify for the educational version, even better.

paco
02-19-2006, 04:33 PM
One more hint about Rhino; check prices at Off Broadway-Rhino reseller (http://www.ob.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=43).

As far as I know, COREL doesn't make 3D CAD... only as "look-a-like" 3D render.

gene
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Paco,
What is the learning curve on this type software?
Will it do alot as far as versality ? and does it create the files to go to the bot or will i have to change them ? tHANKS gENE

paco
02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Gene,

Rhino is only CAD (3D), that is creating 3D designs. To get thoses designs to the machining process, you'll need a CAM package.

Rhino is just as Steve state in the previous post; BEST BANG FOR THE BUCKS! Just browse the web site gallery and you'll see how versatile it is. It is as accurate as versatile. It read a whole lot of file formats (2D too: one of my prefered feature). A free trial is available to download.

The learning curve "can be tedious"... but well worth if yo ask me. Designing for fast 3D relief can be longer than some other packages available; but thoses other have their limit too... how "comfy" are you with CAD?!

As for which CAM to fit with Rhino (Yes, I knew...); there's a bunch... on a next post for this... a quick search with '3D CAM' will reveal some on the TSB forum... CNC zone will tease you with A LOT... Google will drown you with links!