PDA

View Full Version : I could use some help modifying my z zero file.

knight_toolworks
06-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I would like to remove the start message if possible and have it raise the z to 3" when it is done any help?

bcammack
06-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Just edit the zzero.sbp file (after making a save copy for backup).

I believe I just did this:
' *** Hit ENTER When above plate and Ready to Zero ***

Put a single quote in front of this line.

Change your &my_ZzeroSafeZ in the my_variables.sbc file to 3.0

This will make all of the upward moves in the zzero.sbp file go to 3".

What are you aiming to do here? I've modified mine a bit. Perhaps I can help you. I bonded a piece of unetched printed circuit board 1/2" off the home position and have my zzero program randomly pick a point within it's 2x2 area. Totally hands-off process.

knight_toolworks
06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I like the 3" as it is easier to get the dust boot back on.

Brady Watson
06-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Steve,
Keep in mind that if you use a very long bit and thick material that you may top out the Z...and cause a driver fault. Just keep this in mind if you start working with material thicker than 2" or use bits longer than 3".

-B

ed_lang
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Why don't we have a prox switch on the top of the Z travel?

I have been thinking about adding one.

Brady Watson
06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Ed,
Many of us have & keep in mind that it doesn't have to be an inductive type switch like the ones on the XY axes. It can be one of the microswitches with paddle/actuator like they sell at the Shack:

-B

ed_lang
06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
The one pictured looks like a SPDT to me.

I will go and look at the controller and see if the input has a pullup resistor and needs ground or if it is looking for TTL high. Then add a switch to the top of the Z and be done with it.

Most times I just don't see the forrest for all those silly trees!

paco
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM

I use to avoid crashing when working high (about 1/4" before the spring hook) and with my personal homing routine (it fully raise before calibrating the X & Y). I know some user have one for the lower too but it need to be adjustable...

paco
06-08-2007, 04:59 PM
May I suggest to change the '&my_ZzeroSafeZ' in the my_variables.sbc file to %(28) (instead of a number like 3) which return the VC Safe Z; this will allow the use to change the value easily.

Bot on!

bcammack
06-11-2007, 08:07 AM
&my_ZzeroSafeZ is different than the VC Safe Z on purpose, I believe, to accomodate just what Steve wants to do here; pull the bit up extra high at the end of the zero routine.

www.allelectronics.com (http://www.allelectronics.com) is a great source for electronic odds and ends like those microswitches. I've used them for a long time for project bits and for things to wire my model railroad layout.