PDA

View Full Version : Turbocad, DXF files in Vector

dkwoodie@vermontel.net
05-03-2002, 12:20 PM
I am using Turbocad V.8 and am a new user of vector. The dxf file comes into Vector in a dotted line format, all lines and arcs. Vector sems to read the files ok, the line segments are correct, the scale is correct and the Vector functions all seem to be working. I don't understand why the solid lines in Turbocad convert to dotted lines in Vector. I could get used to it but is there a way around this?

gerald_d
05-03-2002, 12:33 PM
The most obvious reason that I can think of, it that the line in TurboCad only appears to be a solid line while it is actually dotted.

I have the same apparent problem in AutoCad when I have set the scale of the dotted line all wrong. Just think what happens when I tell AutoCad that each dash of the dotted line must be 20 inches long . . . . . Any line shorter than 20" looks solid.

There may be other reasons, but I would first want to make sure that TurboCad is really sending a solid line.

gerald_d
05-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Donald, may I suggest a simple test?:

Draw a single line
Make a dxf
Open dxf with Notepad or Wordpad
Look in the code if it says solid line or not

You do not want to confuse dotted and solid lines in Vector because:
dotted line means "move along here at jog speed" and
solid line means "move along here at normal speed"

srwtlc
05-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Don, when you save your file as a .dxf click on the 'setup' button in the save dialog box and check the spot for save as AutoCAD R12 drawing and you should be good to go. I have V7 pro so yours may be slightly different. This setting will stay for all subsequent saves.

Hope this helps.

Scott