PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a freebie project

bryan
06-23-2005, 12:40 AM
My head karate teacher asked me if I could carve some of his hand writen kanji into a couple wood blanks, well since I try to be a good student, I told him I could, I've been looking at v carving it and have loaded the dxf file to the demo verison of artcam insignia it works great in there but no way to save it, and I'm not going to invest $3000 for a couple of freebies. So would anybody want to run a v carving file for me to run on my bot? I have 45, 60, 90, 120 v bits, plan on caving it into 3/4 baltic birch with the size be 18 x 12, I can send the files that i set up originaly from Parts Wizard II I've also placed a outside edge that I'd cut with a 1/2 spirl just let me know if you can help, Thanks Bryan

kr_fitz
06-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Bryan, why not use the free Typesetter application included with the Shopbot v3 software?

zeykr
06-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Bryan,
I'm in NW Arkansas not too far from you. I'll drop you an email.

gerald_d
06-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Kevin, I don't think that hand written kanji (http://www.dharma-rain.org/StillPoint/archives/graphics5_96/kanji.GIF) is included in the Typesetter.

bryan
06-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Gerald you are so right
this hand written stuff is a killer

gerald_d
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Bryan, if you aren't flooded with offers of help yet, send the dxf's to me - gdpost@gmail.com (mailto:gdpost@gmail.com). I don't jump at these requests because we are set up in millimeters and because your own countrymen are supposed to be helping you first - no?

bryan
06-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Kevin heres the two plaques that i working on

gerald_d
06-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Eeeeeeww - that's rough!

It is with some trepidation that I am going to look at my inbox now.....

paco
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
4316...poor Gerald!

Bryan,

have you considered to engraved this designs with the BMP/JPG "converter" (FC command)?... assuming that you have SB3 3.4.1... or maybe the TIFF converter from a earlier release...

terry
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Paco,
Off point I know but where do you get the smilie / laughie faces?

Terry

srwtlc
06-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I would agree with Gerald, eeeeewww!

If the .dxf is as rough as that looks, that's going to drive a v-carving program nuts. Would it be at all possible to find an equivalant font that might be cleaner that could be used to lay it out in a design program such as CorelDraw, etc.?

Forgive me if that's how you got the .dxf in the first place.

bryan
06-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Take a look at these early one's that I got paid for http://www.crismaswoodworking.com/images/DSCN1482.JPG
these were all clear cut , then hand painted. I was hoping that by v carving them it would be early to paint and quicker to cut as all of these required a 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 clearing files to get the detail of the kanji, the v carving that I've done so far amounts to the 10 fonts in pw2 and it worked a lot better then doing clear cuts of smaller letters. I send the files to both of the about kanji to a couple of folks, one sent back the v carving of both and wow I beleive it is a better look then the clear cut ones above
whats everybody thing?

bryan
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Scott there are fonts out there but my instructor wanted that hand written look, as no two people write the same in english the same go for kanji, he wanted this for a personal gift to one of his old friends.

The prints above were the orginal drawing by my instructor, from there I used traceart to creat a dxf file, that was pulled into pw2 and cleaned up to get a clean file, i sent that file to a couple of the fine folks on the forum that answered my call for help and one of them created the above with artcam pro, I really thinking I need to break my piggy bank wait i mean banks and buy a copy of it.....

bleeth
06-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Looks like you have it handled but if you have any more problems get in touch

Dave

bryan
06-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Cut one of the files earlier tonight, and it looks great, I'm sold where's my artcam pro;-)
a big Thank you to Bill and all the other botters out there that emailed and help me.
Bryan

bryan
06-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Heres a couple photos of the kanji v carved and finished with lacquar. As you can see I did a lot of cleaning up of the orginal scans shown above. The pictures do not do them justice the v carving bring each brush stroke alive just like hand brushed kanji.